Chapter twelve

"I have to go back"

"No"

"Ronnie-"

"No Archie, no, no, no. I'm pregnant, we have a teenager and two five year olds. I can't do it alone. You can't go, no!" she yells.
Tears stream down her cheeks. She got up and slowly walks backwards away from him.
He follows her with his arms reaching for her.

"Come here"

"No Archie. You said you wouldn't leave me. You said I won't be alone this pregnancy"

"It's not like I'm never here!"

"You're barley here Archie. You left when I was four months pregnant with the twins and came back when they were already born. I can't handle all of this alone. I have to go to work, clean the house, get the kids to school and explain to Emilia and Ben why you're not home and all of this while dealing with the side effects of being pregnant with your child. You promised me something else when we married. I don't want this anymore"  she says still walking backwards but he follows.

"What are you saying Veronica?" he says raising his voice slightly.

"Veronica?"

"I'm sorry babe. Just- please don't leave me. I love you"

She sighs and finally stops walking, allowing him to take her hands into his.

"I love you too Archie and never in a million years would I leave you but I want to be alone for a few minutes"

"Fine but Ronnie, can I please have a kiss first?"

She nods and places her hands on his chest. She gets on her tiptoes before she gives him a short but sweet little kiss. When she pulls away Archie cups her cheeks and whips some of her tears away.

"I love you" he whispers

Her bottom lip starts trembling before she falls into his chest. He wraps one arm around her and runs his fingers through her hair with his other hand.

"Shhh Ronnie, it's going to be okay. I promise"

"Stop making promises" she mumbles. Her arms are tightly around him and her face is buried in his chest.
They stand like this for a while. He's just holding her while she's crying. When he notices that she calmed down he picks her up and carries her to the bedroom. He lies down and she snuggles back into his chest.

"Ronnie baby, you can't lie on your stomach"

"I'm not"

"Ronnie-" he whispers and flips them over so now she lies on her back and he on his side.
He looks down to her a wipes some hair out of her face before he kisses her forehead.

"Do you wanna talk?"

"Not now, tomorrow. Just cuddle me"

"Anything you want"

He places a few long and lovingly kisses to her cheek before he nuzzles his head in the crook of her neck. One arm lies protectively over the stomach.

•••

Archie lies awake for hours. He just can't fall asleep. He hates himself for putting Veronica through this again. He's supposed to make her happy.
Suddenly the bedroom door opens slowly and he can hear quiet sniffs.

"Mommy?"

"Mommy is asleep Emmy but daddy is here"

The little girl closes the door behind her and runs over to the bed. She tries to climb up but it's too dark to see anything. She panics and starts to cry.