Chapter fifteen

"Veronica Andrews" Archie breaths out when he reaches the front desk of the hospital. His heart is pounding and his hands are sweaty.

"Are you related to the patient?"

"I'm her husband"

"Room 302. A doctor is still with her but you can go see her after that"

"Thanks" Archie smiles and walks towards the room. Even though the woman told him to wait he walks into Veronica's room. Just as he opens the door, he bumps into a man who he assumes to be the doctor.

"Mr. Andrews I suppose?"

"Yes. How's my wife and my baby"

"They're both alright. Your wife probably passed out from too much stress and not enough water. Her body went into something like a restart to protect herself and the baby. She should wake up soon and then we'll talk again"

"Okay. Thank you Sir" he says to the doctor but with his eyes on his wife.

A little smile flashes over the doctor's face before he walks past Archie and out of the room.
Archie sits down on a chair next to Veronica's bed. He takes her hand into his and runs his thumb over her knuckles.

"Ronnie. What are you doing to me? Don't ever scare me like this again"

He sighs and places his other hand on her baby bump. "I'm just happy you two are okay"

He brings her hand up to his mouth and places a few soft kisses to it when suddenly his phone rings. He places another kiss on her hand before he lets go and pulls his phone out of his pocket. He rolls his eyes when he sees the name on the display.

"Good evening Sir" he says and gets up. He walks around the room while speaking.

...

"I'm in the hospital Sir, my wife, my pregnant wife passed out earlier. I can't leave her, I won't"

...

"I understand"

...

"That's possible?"

...

"That would be great yes. So we talk later?"

...

"Perfect, thank you Sir"

Archie puts his phone back into his pocket while smiling widely. He turns back to Veronica and is greeted by a pair of deep brown eyes.

"Ronnie!"

He leans over her, cups her cheeks and kisses her lovingly.

"How are you feeling? Are you okay?" he asks before he sits back down on the chair next to her.

"Mhm, my head just hurts a little. What happened?"

"You fainted and now you're here"

"Where are the kids?"

"At home with Reg. Don't worry" he says and takes her hand into his.

"Cuddle me!" Veronica pouts. She moves to one side of the bed so there's space for Archie.
He kicks off his shoes before he lies down next to Veronica. His arms wrap around her and pulls her into his chest. She just lies next to him for a while, snuggled into his side while his fingers run through her hair. He notices how she's about to fall asleep but she fights to keep her eyes open.

"I wanna see my babies" she mumbles.

"Ronnie, they're probably already asleep and you should sleep too. You need it"

"What about Lia?"

"I promise you to call her as soon as you fell asleep"

"Who were you talking to on the phone earlier?"

"I'll tell you tomorrow but for now please close your eyes and sleep. You don't need to worry about anything. I'm here and I will protect you"

She giggles and kisses his chest before she closes her eyes and falls asleep almost immediately.

Just a few moments later his phone rings again.

"Hey Lia"

"Hey dad, how's mom"

"She's alright don't worry. They wanna keep her here overnight but we come home tomorrow"

"This is all my fault" she says and Archie can practically hear the tears running down her cheeks.

"What?"

"If I hadn't been in my room, mom wouldn't have to come inside"

"Lia, I promise you this is not your fault. The doctor said she's was too stressed. So if it's anyone's fault it's mine but definitely not yours"

"Okay" she sniffs "and dad, what I said to you earlier, I didn't mean that. I'm really sorry"

"Don't worry about it honey. You know I love you, no matter what. Now promises me you go to bed and sleep. Everything's alright"

"Okay, I love you too dad"

He turns his phone off before he places it on the nightstand next to Veronica's bed.
He pulls her closer into his chest and kisses her head over and over again until he falls asleep.