Chapter 4 - Defiance

The weather is overcast over the city of Bloodberry. People in the other districts are carrying on with their lives as usual with no incident. In the slums however, the people living in poverty are being harassed by a couple of pirates for the hell of it. One of the pirates kick a man dressed in rags around while the others harassed the women.

"Look at these dirty pigeons...hehehe!" one of the bearded pirates laughed. "They would make for great pleasure slaves!"

"Bastard! Leave us alone!" one of the women yelled.

"Why would we do that?" another pirate snickered. "You poor and rotten slum dwellers are at the bottom of the damn totem pole. It's only right we take advantage of you!" The other pirates cheer on that statement. The pirates believe that it is right outlaws take what they desire, especially if they take from people who are deemed as weak.

Two other men that live in the slums went to go help the people, but are ultimately subdued. The unruly pirates stomp the hard sole of their boots against the two men's head and body. The women pleaded for them to stop. Their cries fell on deaf ears as the outlaws are having fun causing bodily harm. Soon, one of the pirates screams as he is in serious pain. The other pirates stop bothering the people in the slums to see what happened to one of their own. The one wearing a grey bandana who was kicking at the two slum dwellers have gotten his arm slice off.

"Son of a bitch!!! Gwaaahhh....!!!" the pirate screamed in agony. Upon seeing him lose lot of blood, they also spotted a young man clad in green with twin sabers behind him. It is no other than Locke. After slicing off his arm, he kicks him away from the two injured men.

"Are you okay?" Locke bends down on his one knee to ask them. The two men shakes their head yes. The women quickly run over to the men and helped carry them away, leaving Locke to deal with the pirates.

"You guys are such pathetic bullies, you know that!" Locke says in a cocky, yet disgusted tone. "Picking on those weaker than you! You should feel ashamed, you know?"

"Who does this brat think he is!?" the black-bearded pirate said as he is outraged.

"Let's kill this fool!" another pirate suggests. The pirates draw out their scimitars and circle around Locke to trap him. The people in the slums hid away in their broken houses, though the children inside wanted to take a peek through the window.

"So, it's seven of us and one of you..." the black-beard pirate snarled. "You're gonna die, you prick!"

"Wow...I'm so scared," Locke says sarcastically. Knowing that is sarcasm, the pirates angrily charge at Locke with their swords. Each time they strike at the young swordsman, he swiftly blocks their attacks. Locke uses his sword techniques to take down each of the pirates with ease. The pirate that got his arm hacked off prior ran away like a coward.

The slums are now safe from danger for the time being. The people came out from their homes and surround Locke. They thanked him for saving their lives from the pirates. Locke replies that it is not a huge deal and that he is used to dealing with scum like them on his travels.

A little girl came out from the crowd and says her thanks, viewing Locke as a savior. "Don't mention it, little one!" said Locke, smiling at the little girl. The people offer to pay him what little they have, but Locke objects to it as they need them more than him. "No need to reward me. Just passing through east from here to Bunny Village, that's all." He then points ahead of him. "The East Gate is that way, right?"

"Yes," a young teenage boy dressed in rags nods.

"Alright, here I come!" Locke starts walking towards the direction where the East Gate of Bloodberry is located. Before he left, Locke gives the poor all of the money that his sister gave him, since he have unlimited access to his secret stash. That money is more than enough to help them get out of poverty. Even without his stash, nothing would get in the way of Locke from doing the morally right thing. The people of the slums thank him again and wish him luck on his journey.