》32. Keep an Eye Out《

The news spread like wildfire across SHIELD headquarters. All the other agents made sure to stay out of Wanda's way, afraid of her powers. They also avoided Kara, at all costs, which made the brunette feel even worse. 

"Why are they scared of me? I didn't almost f**king kill someone.", Kara muttered under her breath, rolling her eyes at the sight of two agents heading her way, but swiftly turning a full 180 degrees upon seeing her.

Loki hummed in response, startling the woman. "I think you were close, though.", he replied. Kara responded by walking away from him in a huff. 

"Hey, wait!", Loki called out. 

Later that evening...

The team currently sat together in the dining room, eating their supper. To say it was quiet was an understatement. No one said a word, not even Sam, who had a hard time keeping his mouth shut.

Each member's eyes would look up from their food, glancing at each other, then looking back down. Tony sighed, getting sick of the silent atmosphere enveloping the group.

"Why are we all quiet? It's making me very uncomfortable.", Tony whined, setting his utensils down. Natasha rolled her eyes. "We don't have to talk all the time, Tony."

"Well, apparently, he does.", Rhodey interjected, pointing to his friend. This earned him a punch on the shoulder. "Rude."

"Why don't we address the elephant in the room, then?", Clint suggested, after swallowing his food. Thor looked around, obviously puzzled.

"Elephant? I do not see-"

"Dude, it's a metaphor.", Sam spoke up, pinching the bridge of his nose. 

"That's a great idea, Barton.", Steve said, clasping his hands together. He turned his attention to Kara first, who he noticed was playing with her food, then to Wanda, who didn't even eat at all.

"Wanda? Do you have anything to say?", he asked, and the rest shifted their focuses to the witch. Wanda grew nervous. 

"I... uh...", she trailed off, rubbing her arm. Kara shot her a quick deadly glance, rolled her eyes, and resumed whatever it is that she was doing.

"It was an accident. I didn't realize the energy that came out of my hands was going to be that intense-"

"Oh, you didn't realize, did you?", Kara cut her off, harshly dropping her utensils on her plate. Loki gave her a look of concern. 

Wanda stared at her back. "I am not lying, Kara!"

Kara scoffed at this. "Why don't you just admit that you wanted to hurt me, like, deliberately?" Wanda shook her head quickly. "I told you, I'm not-"

"All right, all right. Everyone, settle down.", Steve piped up, shushing the both of them. Loki raised an eyebrow. 

"This could have been avoided, as a matter of fact.", the god stated, squinting his eyes at the captain. Steve looked at him expectantly. "And you're looking at me because...?"

The raven-haired prince shrugged, suddenly interested in his glass of water. "You were there. You should have kept a better eye on Kara.", he responded. Thor internally face-palmed. 

Steve furrowed his eyebrows. "Wait, wasn't it your job to watch her? Where were you during those times, may I ask?" Loki's jaw clenched. 

"She was training with you. I assumed she was in good hands." With that, he stole a swift glance at Kara, who shut her eyes and breathed out heavily. "I guess I was terribly mistaken."