46. 》As You Go《

Kara clutched her heart in her chest. She was a bit asthmatic, which didn't help her situation at the moment. After having run off due to the horrific sight she witnessed, she gradually began to lose oxygen; hence, she settled on sitting down on the grass outside, hoping the view of the bright, twinkling stars would calm her nerves.

Not that it worked, though.

Kara just merely sobbed and sobbed in solitude, her head buried in her arms as she sat down with a crouched figure. She knew things were too good to be true, noticing how she seemed ecstatic majority of the time. It had become a pattern for the poor brunette: feeling elated for a period of time, falling back into a pit of misery, rising up from that pit, allowing herself to feel happiness once again, then back to sadness.

"What am I going to do with my pathetic excuse of a life?", she muttered in between sobs.

"Make the most out of it."

Kara froze in her position. The sound of the voice had become familiar over her stay at the Avengers' facility, that she instantly knew who it was. She didn't even bother looking at the man to address his words.

"Leave me alone, Steve."

Instead of hearing footsteps, the young lady heard a soft chuckle escaping his lips. The captain took this opportunity to sit beside her on the grass, hugging his legs as he gazed up at the night sky.

"Beautiful, isn't it?", he commented, in awe of the stars scattered like splattered white paint on a dim canvas. Kara rolled her eyes. "If you're somehow going to connect me with those stars, sorry to say, but I'm gonna throw the nearest pebble at you.", she replied, making Steve's lips twitch upwards.

"It was worth a try.", he responded, shrugging. It was Kara's turn to laugh softly.

There was a few minutes of silence between the pair. The occasional sniff was heard, and Steve couldn't help but let his eyes flicker from the sky to the star sitting next to him at the moment.

"I'm so helpless.", Kara mused after a while. Steve shot her a look of sympathy. "You're not helpless, Kara-"

"Yes, I am!", she yelled, cutting him off. The soldier was stunned at this but kept an understanding expression. Kara sighed, running her hand through her hair and slightly pulling at it. "I'm sorry. I'm just... not in the most stable condition right now."

Steve nodded. "I know, which is why I'm here.", he added. Kara looked up at him with tear-stained cheeks. "To what? Scold me? Tell me 'I told you so' and all that bullsh*t?"

Steve twitched a bit at the curse word, but let it slide. "No."

"Then what exactly are you doing here, Captain?", she asked. Wiping away the fresh tears that had just formed in her eyes, she slowly met gazes with the super-soldier, only to see him staring at her with glistening eyes. For once, they remained trapped in that moment, neither bother saying a word. The pair let their eyes speak for themselves, their gazes saying more words than they could have imagined.

"I...", she trailed off, still not breaking her focus. Had she did, she would have noticed Steve's body inching closer and closer to her own, his face gradually dipping onto hers.

Then, it happened.

Kara felt the sensation of lips touching hers. Steve's kiss was gentle and sweet, which was expected, coming from a gentleman like him. It was obvious he was nervous, given the slight quiver in his bottom lip. After a few seconds, he slowly started to gain confidence, being as bold as to cup her face in his hands and deepen his kiss.

On the other hand, the young lady didn't know how to respond. The blond's kiss was a definite step-down from the ones she had received from Loki, but the innocence behind it somehow kept her in place. She had not been blind to Steve's actions, but she was not one to assume unless he made a move.