38. 》Catch Me If You Can《

"Agent Hill?"

The short-haired woman gave a small laugh, ignoring Kara, Loki and Natasha shocked expressions. "In the flesh."

"Bu-but... ho-how... wh-why?"

"I told you, eyes and ears everywhere.", Maria replied. "I apologize for the location. This is my favorite food place, after all.", she continued, taking a quick look at the diner they were currently in. The God of Mischief sneered at her remark.

The trio began bombarding the agent with questions, and Hill was starting to get annoyed.

"All of you, sit down.", she cut them off, her face turning serious. The other two complied with her demand, eyes still on Maria who was sitting opposite them.

"I knew someone was missing back at HQ.", Natasha piped up. Maria shrugged. "Goes to show how invaluable I am to SHIELD."

Kara shook her head quickly. "Don't say that Maria. You are one of SHIELD's finest, if not, even the best.", she remarked, causing Natasha and Loki to look her way and raise their eyebrows at her.

"Enough of the compliments. We don't have much time.", Maria stated, looking around wearily. Kara leaned forward in anticipation, Loki rested his back on the chair, and Natasha had her fists on the table.

"I'm going to get straight to the point here.", she started. "Fury isn't Fury." With this, Loki slammed one of his fists on the table. "Ha! I knew something was off with that stupid mortal-"

Maria glared at him. "Hey. Say what you want about the impostor, but don't disrespect my boss."

"Then who is it?", Kara asked, reminiscing what had transpired the night before. Hill gazed at her curiously. "I don't know. But, remember the day you all arrived from your little outing?", Maria asked. The rest of them nodded.

"I took a sample of the blood writing on the wall. It took a few days before I got the results from the lab, but I managed. You wouldn't believe whose blood it was.", the agent said, before taking a sip from her coffee.

The trio merely stared at Hill, urging her to go on.

"It was Fury's."

Kara, Loki and Natasha exchanged glances, all had puzzled and slightly horrified expressions on their faces. "Do you recall what happened that day?"

Maria paused, bowing her head down. "Everything was normal. Fury was preparing the compound for your arrival. I was in-charge of roll call that morning.", she narrated. "Then, we suddenly heard shots being fired outside, and the screams of my colleagues. I remember the director telling me to stay inside and to alert everyone. He went outside, only with his gun in hand.", Maria added.

"The power suddenly went off, so the emergency lights kicked in. The sirens started blaring, and all I could see was red light. Someone was attacking us, I just didn't know if he came alone, or with backup."

Kara felt the urge to hold the agent's hand. Surprisingly, Maria didn't flinch.

"When did you start to suspect something was wrong with Fury?", Natasha inquired.

"First of all, his wounds had healed quicker than I expected. I still have my gash from that day.", she stated, pointing to a nearly-healed wound on her face. "Plus, he started acting... strange. His routine was different, and in all my years of working for that man, he always did the same things everyday."

Kara grew silent at Maria's words. That must be the unexplainable feeling that lingered in her stomach every single day, the feeling of being watched. Was this impostor watching her?