50. 》Where We Left Off《

It has been a couple of days since The Avengers stormed HYDRA's facility to take out Strucker and his team of Dark Avengers while rescuing the kidnapped adolescents who were used as test subjects for Werner's vision of world domination through enhanced individuals.

A couple of days, and Kara was still unresponsive back at headquarters, where she was currently monitored 24/7 by Tony and Bruce, always ensuring her vital signs are stable. The team was growing anxious by the minute, concerned about the well-being of their teammate, their friend.

Then, the unexpected came.

"Kara!", Tony exclaimed, as he saw her finger twitch. The rest were left in a state of shock, as well, now watching the tiniest movement she could make.

After her finger, her whole hand began to turn. Gradually, Kara began to regain control of her body parts. The last she managed to direct was her eyes. As she opened her eyes for the first time in two days, she was taken back by the intense amount of light, shutting it closed for a moment and taking peeks in order to adjust to her surroundings.

"Hey.", Steve said, inching towards her and standing beside her bed. When Kara's vision had adjusted, she got a good view of her friends, all encircling her with sad smiles on their faces.

"Hey.", she replied to the soldier, her lips curving into a smile.

"You were amazing back there, you know that?", Tony interrupted them, his arms crossed as he looked at her with pride in his eyes. Kara smiled at this. "I was?"

All of them nodded. "Amazing would be an understatement, I think.", Clint remarked, winking at the young lady. The rest hummed in agreement.

"I think you finally earned your superhero name, Kara.", Stark added, causing the others to look his way, most especially Kara. Kara tilted her head to the side, urging him to go on.

"Phantom."

Kara stayed silent for a moment, thinking about the new name. "Well, that's certainly an upgrade from 'Casper' ". Clint commented, snickering at the mention of her old nickname.

A wave of emotions surged through her body, and she couldn't fight the tears from brimming her eyes.

"Look at that Tony, you made her cry.", Sam remarked, offering a handkerchief to the woman. Kara chuckled, accepting Sam's handkerchief with gratitude and wiping her eyes. "So, I'm really a part of you guys, now?", she asked, incredulity evident in her voice.

Everyone exchanged glances, all with huge grins on their faces. "You always were, Kara. And you always will be.", Steve answered for the team.

Kara couldn't contain her enthusiasm any longer. "F**k yeah!", she shrieked, before her eyes widened in realization and she smacked a hand against her lips. "Oops, sorry."

"Language!", Tony mock-scolded, making Rogers sigh with a smile and the rest burst into laughter.

As Kara laughed along with the group, there was a lingering feeling in her heart that something was missing.

Rather, someone.

Her eyes flickered from one Avenger to another, her smile fading and breaking into a frown as her focus moved further into the room.

"Um, guys? Where's Loki?", Kara asked out of the blue, immediately putting their laughter to a halt.

"Okay, this isn't good.", she thought, her heart rate increasing as she stared right back at them, anticipating their response.

Thor walked forward, stopping right beside her bed. Kara looked at him expectantly. "Well?", she pushed, beginning to feel uneasy.

"Loki is in critical condition as of the moment, Lady Kara. The blasts from Strucker's weapons were not to be underestimated, that's for sure.", Thor explained, and Kara could feel her heart sinking in her chest.