36. 》Close Call《

"Ugh, why did I have to bump into him?", Kara muttered to herself, rolling her head back and slouching as she walked. The incident earlier kept replaying in her head, and she could swear that the sensation of Loki's breath lingered on her face.

Kara shook her head vigorously, slapping her cheeks a few times. "I almost gave into him again. I'm such a damn idiot.", she continued, bowing her head down.

A thought popped into her head. "That sly dog! How dare he touch my things?" She got her phone out from her pocket, opening it once more to reveal her lock screen. All irritation dissipated once she saw the photo adorning her screen. Her lips curved up into a small smile.

"Stupid me. I had to make HIM my lock screen.", Kara said, gazing at her phone. It was one of her favorite pictures of Loki, taken long ago when they were still dating.

"You should really stop talking to yourself.", a voice spoke from behind, causing Kara to freeze. She slowly put her phone away, turning around to look at the person.

"And you gotta stop sneaking up on people.", Kara retorted upon setting her eyes on the director. Nick merely gave her a smirk.

"It's my business to keep an eye on people, Ms. Kara.", he replied, making his way towards her.

Kara scoffed. "What do you want?"

The director shrugged. "I've been meaning to ask you about your powers, Kara."

The brunette cocked an eyebrow. "What about them?"

Nick's eye fell on Kara's bangles. "You don't seem to have gotten them under control yet, do you?" Kara touched her bangles.

"I'm working on it. You've seen me train.", she answered, confused as to where this conversation was heading.

Nick nodded. "I see. I think you better work on them real fast. There are some dangerous people around.", he stated, giving her one final look before walking ahead. Kara's eyebrows furrowed.

"What the hell is he talking about?", she asked, watching the director leave her. She did not know if it was coincidence, but the lights suddenly flickered several times.

"Weird.", she thought out loud, glancing at the light bulbs above her.

A beep from her phone interrupted her suspicious thoughts on Fury. She grabbed her device and opened it, seeing two messages, both from an unknown number.

"Huh. Who could this be?", she inquired, swiping up.

9:30PM

"I need to talk to you." - unknown

10:49AM

"Please respond to my text, Kara."

Kara was alarmed at the last message. How could she possibly receive a text from an unknown number who seems to know her name.

Hesitating, she typed in her reply.

4:51PM

"Who is this?"

A whole minute passed, a reply was received.

4:52PM

"I can't say it through text. Eyes and ears everywhere. I need to meet up with you. It's urgent."

Kara was starting to grow annoyed with the anonymous sender. "Who the f**k is this?" She shut her phone off and blocked the number. "I've had enough of these morons."

"Who are the morons?", Clint piped up, startling the woman. She clutched her heart in her hands, eyes wide open.

"Geez, Clint. Don't do that!" The archer raised his hands up in surrender. "I'm sorry. You looked so serious, I just had to."