Chapter 1

EMELIA

"You have to do this!" My mum yelled as me, my dad and my brother Rodrigo stood in the kitchen.
"No! You can't control me" I shout back.
"You live under my roof! So whatever I say goes" she said angrily.
"That doesn't mean shit!" I say as I grab a glass from the counter and smash it on the ground. "IM NOT SOME STUPID TOY YOU CAN PLAY WITH!" I sob while my stomach clenches in pain.
"Eli-" she sighed.
"I don't want to hear your lies!" I cry while my brother Rodrigo tries to comfort me. "I'm leaving" I say while taking his hands off my shoulders.
"Emelia!" My mother shouts while I storm out of the kitchen and into my room. "You can't just leave" she yells again as I slam the door shut and break down on the floor.

 "You can't just leave" she yells again as I slam the door shut and break down on the floor

My back leans against the door while the river of tears stream my face. I feel the pain inch up from my stomach up to my heart and it hurts so much. My heart was broken, I just couldn't live like this anymore. I was as broken as a smashed window and every time I looked in the mirror I didn't see myself at all. I only seen a little girl who is to pathetic to fight her own battles. I have tried long enough to hold onto my only hope that my mother would change but she never has and probably never will.
I get up from the floor and grab a suitcase from under my bed and start to pack as much clothes and appliances as I could fit in. This was the day, the day I finally leave my home. I take my phone from the back pocket of my jeans and book a flight to LA as quick as I could, picked a random hotel and then zipped up the suitcase.
"Rodrigo.." I sigh while wiping the tears away from my cheeks.
"Eli, please-" he mumbled.
"I need you to do my a favour" I gulped.
"What is it?" He trembled.
"I need you to drive me to the airport" I say while holding back my tears.
"Ar- are you sure you want to do this?" He asked, still hoping I would say no but I think we both know this is where I draw the line with my mum.
"I'm positive" I say trying to smile.
"Let's get in the car" he sighs and picks his car keys up from on top of the bookshelf in the hallway. We exit the house and I put my suitcase in the backseat while we both get into the front. I look out the window as we leave the driveway and take one look at the house I've known as home my whole life. But it's time to forget the past and move on with my future because I will never enter my parents life ever again.
And I'm glad.

DIEGO

As the distant shadows of the buildings below creep into the night light. All  fear in the city disappear without a trace and as I get to watch the sun disappear into the horizon the familiar feeling of loneliness scares me. I stare out of my window and into the towering city skyline while the taste of scotch reaches the back of my throat.
I clench the counter top as I breathe in the fresh air from the open window.
I like the peaceful sound of the traffic below, it reminds me of how busy life can be. I wouldn't say my life was the dream but it's somewhere in between. I've been in trouble with the authorities since the day I was born, I'm nothing but a lost cause. I try to keep my head above water and most times it works but when I lie awake at night I feel as though I'm drowning.
"Boss" rei says as he takes a step into my office.
"Yes, raja" I say while gulping the rest of the scotch down my throat.
"We have a few bookings for the hotel" he says while pouring himself a drink.
"Is that it?" I ask annoyed.
"Well, there's a name. Emelia Ramirez" he sighs and takes a drink.
"Ramirez, Huh?" I question. "Sounds like gaels cousin" I sigh and put my glass on my desk.
"Exactly what I was thinking" he says with a smirk.
"Call him. Tell him we have a special guest" I say and rei takes a last gulp of the scotch and leaves the room. I turn back to the city below and take a minute to process the beauty of every single detail that all the buildings have.
I pour myself another drink "Emelia Ramirez, it's going to be a pleasure meeting you" I joke to myself but was interrupted by a knock at the door.
"Hey, Diego" Sophia smiled while closing the door behind her and then taking a seat.
"Can I help you?" I ask impatiently.
"You can help me in any way you would like" She jokes. "But no. I actually wanted to check on you" she sighed.
"Nobody checks on a man wearing that" I laugh.
"You shouldn't be so rude" she said, annoyed.
"Sophia, what do you want!?" I say angrily.
"I already told you! I was checking on you" she yelled and stood up from the chair.
"Don't yell at me" I shouted back.
"What are you going to do! Kill me?" She yelled as she crossed her arms and looked me directly in the eyes.
"Thanks for the idea" I mumble.
"You are so unbelievable!" She shouted.
"Sweetheart, I honestly don't care" I say sarcastically.
"No wonder everyone leaves you! Your such a stuck up asshole" she yelled while I clenched my glass in my hand.
"You need to watch your mouth!" I scream while throwing the glass across the room, making it shatter into a million pieces.
"You are crazy!" She yelled back.
"No. I'm insane" I laugh as she leaves the room, slamming the door shut behind her.