Chapter 14

For the first time in a really long time Nick felt nervous facing a closed door. But it wasn't just a door, it was Jane's door. He took a deep breath and knocked. He was surprised of his tension; it wasn't typical for him. But once she opened the door and smiled at him it was all gone. Although they were not alone, he had eyes only for her smile. Jane was nervous as well.

"Good evening Mr. Henderson" she looked at Amy "This is my friend Amy"

"Nice to meet you Amy, welcome to the city" Nick smiled at her friend and shook her hand.

There was a small talk while they were walking to the bar, but you could definitely feel the tension. Amy was guessing why, but she was kind enough not to mention it. There was always a time and a place for everything.

The evening was very pleasant. They had burgers and wings and pitchers of beer. Rob was his usual funny guy and Nick felt he had to outdo Rob somehow. He wanted to show Jane he was funny for some reason, he wanted her to like him better than his brother. After a few pitchers of beer, they decided it was time to go home. Amy was betting Rob about a painting in his apartment, that he was sure it wasn't there and he came upstairs with them to get a proof. Jane unlocked the door and they went inside right away, Nick stayed in the hallway.

"You can come in as well if you like, I can make coffee for everyone" Jane smiled at him.

"I would love to come in, but I would not be able to keep my hands off of you and now it's not the time to tell them about us!" He got close to her and leaned over her.

"You know there is no us, right? I told you it was a mistake, nothing more"

He leaned over her and kissed her very gently and held her in his arms.

"You know, for a mistake this feels really good, and I am not giving it up. I can only imagine how good will the rest of your body feel wrapped around mine." He looked straight in her eyes "There is nowhere to hide my sweets, you will be mine" Nick smiled and left. His last words were said really quietly, but felt more like a threat to her.

Yes, indeed she lived next to him and her office was next to his, nowhere to hide from him. Unfortunately for him, that also meant he could hear her muffled voice over the wall, which meant he could hear her laugh as well. Why did she have to laugh so much and why was that affecting him? He couldn't stop thinking about her, it was driving him mad. Even his dad noticed it.

"Did you hear anything I was saying, boy? This cannot happen again!" he was mad.

"I heard you dad, I know, we had to go over the budget in Miami or not finish at all, and you know the latter was not an option." She laughed once more and he looked at her wall again.

"Why do you keep looking at the wall, is there something wrong with it? His dad got closer to the wall.

"No, dad, nothing is wrong with it, I just have a lot on my mind... a problem with a construction company, which is trying something... new and I don't like it... and I need to fix it" damn it, she made him lie to his dad, he couldn't tell him the truth, what would he say - "Dad, I am lusting over the accountant!" Take a hold of yourself!

"If you are having trouble with it, you should maybe ask Rob for help, he has a lot of experience with... construction companies" Nick was so distracted he didn't even hear his dad's sarcasm or saw his smile when he turned around and left.

Nick could not continue like that, they were adults. He should have an adult conversation with her about their situation, he would reason with Jane. She wanted him and he knew that for a fact. They would just have a couple of nights together and then move on with their lives. Nick was pretty happy with his decision and decided to share it with her. He got up and left his office. He was about to walk in her office when Nick saw the door open and heard her say: