Part Eight: Thank you

Athena's vision went in and out. She remembered at one point, she woke up and someone was making their way over to her. She knew it was either Cody or Rex because she remembered seeing a calf plate in front of her. She blacked out again and came to to see that she was being carried but looked up to see that Rex was the one who was carrying her.

She blacked out again before she woke up again, this time she was fully conscious and she looked around to see that she was in the medical bay. She tried sitting up, but she felt a sharp pain run up to the back of my head, causing me to hiss in pain.

"Woah, woah! Careful, snowball!" Athena heard as she looked to her left and saw Anakin standing beside her, slightly pushing her back down to the medical bed. "Ani? What-What happened? Where's Slick? And Cody and Rex! Where's Rex?!"

"Everyone's fine. Slick is in lock up and Rex and Cody are talking with Kix to see how long you'll be in here." Anakin explained as Athena nodded, laying back down in relief. "What happened?"

"Well, Slick almost killed you back there. After you fell unconscious, Slick tried to choke you until you stopped breathing, but it was a good thing Rex stopped him from doing it." Anakin said, causing Athena to look up at him with wide eyes. "He stopped him?"

"Yeah. He almost got his leg broken because he saved you. And he said he'd do it again." Athena looked towards the door to see Rex and Cody outside now talking to Obi-Wan and another clone which Athena guessed was Kix and blinked a couple of times.

She still couldn't believe her ears. She expected Cody, after hearing that he was starting to trust her, but she never expected Rex. He was the main one that said that he wasn't sure how to trust her. Yet, there was a question at the back of her mind that asked, Why did he save me if he doesn't trust me?

"Because you inspire him, Athena." She heard Anakin say as she looked at him with wide eyes. "Ani!"

"What?"

"What do I tell you about reading my mind?!" Athena exclaimed, smacking his arm lightly as Anakin laughed softly. "Sorry. It just happens. But still, Rex, he's rarely inspired. He usually likes to be the one to inspire others. He's inspired by your determination, your aspiration for the men, how you want to protect them when you couldn't protect your own. That's something very uncommon to others. And even though we're taught not to form attachments, Rex seems to want to get to know you more. You inspire him to be a great leader, Athena."

Athena smiled softly, looking down at her hands as she did and fiddling with her thumbs. She really didn't know what to say because she was shocked, surprised. But the silence was interrupted by Obi-Wan, Rex, and Cody entering the room.

"Ah, I see you're up. How are you feeling?" Obi-Wan asked kindly, causing Athena to look utterly shocked. She looked to Anakin, but he only gave her a nod, as to say that it was okay. She looked back at Obi-Wan before a small smile appeared on her face.

"I'm fine, Obi-Wan. My head still hurts but I'm okay." Athena mumbled. "Glad to hear it. It looks like you'll be spend the rest of the night in here and will be released tomorrow before we head for the city." Obi-Wan assured as Athena smiled and nodded.

"Well, at least I'll be back on the field. That's all that really matters." Anakin nodded, patting his best friend on the shoulder before getting and walking out of the room with Obi-Wan and Cody, leaving Rex standing awkwardly near her bedside.

"You can take a seat, Rex." Athena offered as Rex hesitated for a moment before sitting down in the chair where Anakin was before. "I want to thank you.."

"For what, sir?" Rex asked throwing her a confused look. "You saved my life. I don't think nobody else would have done that, besides Anakin."

"J-Just doing my duty, sir." Rex said while looking down at his helmet and clutching it softly. "But, I can tell there's more. More than just you doing your duty." Athena said, as if seeing right through his slight lie. Rex looked up from his helmet before he went to speak, but no words came out.

"Rex, I know I'm not the best person to trust, but I do have questions when you save my life." Athena consulted, causing Rex to look back down to his helmet. "I'm-I'm not sure, sir. I just had this urge to save you. Not because of the fact you might be my General, but..because you protected me. Even when I'm meant to be expendable."

"No." Athena spat out, sitting up quickly, not caring about the pain running from her neck to the back of her head. She sat upright, throwing her small pale hand over his gloves hand which made him stiffen visibly.

"No, Rex. You're not, I repeat, you are NOT expendable. Not to me. You are a being just like Anakin, just like Obi-Wan, just like me. You are an individual just like us. I will not sit here while you talk down about yourself. I won't. You are not just a number, Rex. You are not CT-7567.." Athena began, causing Rex to look at her with his eyebrow raised.

"I read files, Rex. I know about you before I meet you." Athena said with a smile as Rex nodded. He felt her hand grasp his gently before she spoke up again. "You're not CT-7567. You're Rex. Captain Rex. Not a clone, not a number. A man."

Rex's heart sunk slightly at that. He wasn't disappointed that Athena had said these things. He was disappointed that no one has ever talked to him like this. Not even Anakin. Yeah, they're friends and they're cool pals and everything. But Anakin never actually took the time to remind Rex of who he is. Who he REALLY is.

Athena yawned softly, causing Rex to stand up from his seat. "Get some rest, sir. We got a lot of work to do tomorrow."

"Yes, we do." Athena said with a short nod as Rex nodded back to her and walked towards the door, but not before pausing halfway. "Sir?"

"Yes, Rex?"

"Thank you." Athena smiled and nodded to him as a thanks and this time, Rex returned the smile, making Athena stare at him in shock and awe. This was the first time she's seen one of the clones smile and she wasn't going to lie when she thought his smile was cute.

Her trance came to an end when Rex had walked out of the medbay and she found herself lying back on the bed, closing her eyes thinking about the men and how she was going to fight alongside them tomorrow. As their General and as their friend.