𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕣𝕥𝕖𝕖𝕟 ♔ 𝗜𝗳 𝗜 𝗗𝗶𝗲 𝗬𝗼𝘂𝗻𝗴

Chapter Thirteen 𝙸𝚏 𝙸 𝙳𝚒𝚎 𝚈𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚐

"What's wrong with her?" Arthur's grieved shout rebounded across the chamber walls, startling the current occupants

Gaius sent the Prince a deep look of sympathy, as the young man stood in his distraught state, staring down at Zipporah's unconscious body.

"I cannot be sure, Sire," he answered him truthfully, wishing that he had more answers. "Her entire body seems to have closed down."

"Why?" Asked Uther, who was sat at his wife's bedside, holding onto her cold hand. "You don't have an answer do you? Nothing you've tried so far has worked. It's been nearly two days. And what do you know?"

Gaius remained calm at the King's outburst, he understood that it was a highly distressing time for him, and for them all. It was not easy for Gaius himself, to treat and look upon the dying frame of the girl he considered as a daughter.

"I fear she may have some form of inflammation of the brain," the Physician informed them sadly.

Uther's worry increased, as did Arthur's.

The former asked, "what could cause such a thing?"

"An infection, possibly," replied Gaius. "Rest assured, I will do everything in my power to cure her, Sire."

In a surge of anxiety and fear, Arthur barked, "but what if you can't? What if your treatments don't work!"

Gaius inhaled sharply, not wanting to entertain the terrifying notion for a even a second.

"I will deliver the best of my skills to come up with something, Sire. The Queen means a lot to me also, I shall not rest until I find something that will heal her."

Arthur glanced at the old man, still locked firmly in his fear. "You've got to, Gaius! She has to be alright- she- she has to be!"

Gaius nodded in understanding, then bowed his head to the both of them before taking his leave, exiting out the small door that the servants used.

As he walked down the staircase, he crossed paths with Gwen, who almost dropped the cloths she was holding, to grip his hand.

"How is she?" She asked hurriedly. "Is she any better?"

In reply, Gaius shook his head, causing Gwen's lip to tremble as she ran up the remaining stairs, tears pooling her dark eyes.