Chapter 8: The Attack of the Tentacle Creature Thing

Hope's POV:

For the next hour Gandalf continually tries to open the stupid door, but it won't open. I pass the time sitting with Pippin, Merry, and Boromir. Every so often I glance over at Aragorn who is helping Sam unload the pony, Bill. Poor Sam. The horse has traveled with him from his home.

I think it's called the Shire. Apparently it's very peaceful there. Well, according to Pippin. Suddenly I hear a splash and I am broken out of my thought. I realize that I am still staring at Aragorn and he is now looking directly at me.

I shake my head to clear it before turning to Pippin and Merry. They are throwing rocks into the lake in front of us. Aragorn rushes over. "Do not disturb the water." He warns the Hobbits. Looking sad, they nod and set their rocks down. I smile sadly at them.

When we first started this journey they were so fully of energy and happy. They were innocent. I feel bad for them. I know what it's like to have your innocence stripped away before you're ready for it to be gone.

They may be older than I was, but everyone needs a chance to maintain they innocence as long as possible. I can tell they're feeling down and lost so I decide to help a little. "Hey you two, come here and stand in front of me. You too Sam." I say, beckoning the other Hobbit over.

Confused the three do as I say. Aragorn, Legolas, Boromir, and Gimli watch in wonder. I cross my hands in the stereotypical butterfly shape. "Papilio lux." I mutter. A gold light emits from my hands and forms a butterfly which flies over all those surrounding me. Mainly the Hobbits.

They're tired and sad expressions turn into smiles. "What was that?" Pippin asks me. "It's a comfort spell. My Aunt Freya used to do this spell for me whenever I was missing my dad." I explain to them. They all smile at me.

"Thank you Lady Hope. You are a truly kind soul." Sam says. I smile back, thinking back to the last person who told me I was nice or kind. It was Landon, that night in the werewolf transition space. I created the stars for him so he wouldn't feel too claustrophobic while in there.

He hates small spaces. Suddenly I hear a creaking behind me. I turn around to see the door opening. My eyes widen as I stand up. "Guess they found the password." I mumble. Aragorn sends me a smile and I blush. Stupid me realizing my stupid feelings.

We all walk in, although Aragorn continues to look over his shoulder at the water. Did he see something? I shake it off as we enter the dark mine. It's pitch black. Gandalf lights up on the end to show a body ridden mine. My eyes widen and my hand covers my mouth.

"This is no mine, it's a tomb." Boromir realizes. I scan the bodies. It's a horrible sight. I've only see bloodshed light this once. When I was seven and did a spell to contact my father. He was the one standing in the middle with blood all over him. The monster that people warned me about.

"Are you alright?" Aragorn asks me. "I'll tell you later." I mutter, knowing that we need to figure out what happened here first. He nods in understanding. "Goblins." Legolas says after pulling an arrow out of one of the dwarves. Goblins? Everyone unsheathes their weapons.

I take my sword out, knowing that I need to preserve my arrows. Besides, I'm better with a sword. I stand between Boromir and Aragorn, frantically looking around for any oncoming danger. "We make for the gap at Rohan. We should never have come here." Boromir says.

I couldn't agree with him more. Is this what Gandalf was afraid of? If it is then I get why and if it isn't then what could possibly be worse? "FRODO!" I hear the sudden yell of the Hobbits. I turn around to see Frodo being dragged away from us, towards the lake.

That's what Aragorn was worried about. I race after the Hobbit, far ahead of the others. Tentacles fly towards me, but I chop them off skillfully. I cut the tentacle attached to Frodo and Sam and the other two help him to his feet.

When it seems all the tentacles are gone a lot more come out and knock the Hobbits back. One knocks me on my ass next to Frodo. I grunt as I drop my sword. Two tentacles now lash out. One latching onto Frodo and the other onto me.

I can't resist the shriek that comes out of me when I am lifted off the ground by my ankle. "HOPE!" I hear Aragorn yell out. "Fluctus inpulsa!" I yell. A shockwave goes out of my body. The creature drops me and I brace myself to hit the water, but it never comes.

I land with a grunt in someone's arms. I look up to see Aragorn holding me. "I've got you." He says, reassuring me. I nod and he sets me on my feet. By now Frodo is free as well. "Into the mines!" Gandalf yells. We all race to the entrance of the mine.

Once we're all in the entrance collapses behind us. Everything is dark. "Post tenebras spero lucem." I mutter. The ball of light comes to my hands just as Gandalf's staff lights up once more. "We now have only one choice. We must face the long dark of Moria." Gandalf says.

I sigh and run a hand through my messy hair at this. Now, we need to just walk. "I like that spell Hope." Pippin tells me, still a bit shaken up by the creatures attack. I give him the best smile I can muster. "Here, you hold onto it." I say, handing the ball to Pippin. His eyes widen as he takes it.

He then rushes over to Merry to show him. Even after all that is just happened he still finds joy in something so small. I smile and continue on with the others on our trek through the mines.