Chapter 16: All Hope May Be Lost, But Our Friends Need Us

Hope's POV:

After Boromir's funeral Aragorn explains to us where Frodo and Sam are. Legolas jumps into action. "Hurry, they have not reached the Eastern shore." The elf shouts, getting the final boat ready. Aragorn does not move. "You don't mean to follow them?" Legolas asks, confused.

I look at Aragorn, confused. "Frodo's fate is no longer in our hands." He says. I look down, feeling as if I failed. "Then all this is fate. The Fellowship has failed." Gimli says sadly. We all stand in a circle. Aragorn wraps and arm around my waist while placing a hand on Gimli's shoulder.

"Not if we hold true to each other. We will not abandon Merry and Pippin to torment. Not while we have strength left." He states. I nod, knowing that he is right. With that he lets go of me and Gimli. "Leave all that can be spared behind. Travel lightly. Let's hunt some orc." He says.

I grin and rush over to my backpack. "I've been traveling light this whole time." I tease, trying to lighten the mood. Aragorn sends a smile my way. I stuff it full of as much food as it can carry. I'm the only one carrying a bag cause I have to. It has my extra clothes and armor in case I shift.

I place my hand on my head and I realize that Galadriel was right. The crown is still there. Without another word we take off, running this time. We do not have time to walk. We run for days maybe stopping once.

Right now while we are waiting fro Gimli to catch up Aragorn places his ear to a rock. "Their pace has quickened. They must have caught our scent." Aragorn realizes. He stands and we quicken our pace. I'm exhausted, but I don't let it show. Pippin and Merry need us.

"Hurry Gimli!" Legolas yells. Gimli grumbles something about being better at sprinting. I almost want to shift, but I know that will be unfair to the others. I still have enhanced speed. I'm running along side Aragorn since he's tracking them. We race a clearing and Aragorn spots something.

"Not idly do the leaves of Lórien fall." He says, holding up a cloak clasp. "They could still be alive." I realize, relief washing over me. "Less than a day ahead of us. Come!" Aragorn says. With that we continue our run. I really should have take PE with the werewolves more seriously.

When we get to the top of a rock we stop. "Why are we stopping?" I ask, confused. "Rohan, home of the horse-lords. There's something strange here. Some evil gives speed to these creatures." Aragorn explains, grasping my hand and squeezing it before letting go. I turn to him.

"I could run ahead, as a wolf. I could catch up to them, take them out, and wait for you." I say. Aragorn looks like he's going to protest, but Legolas sees that I am right. "She's right Aragorn, let her go." He tells him. Aragorn looks at me, concerned before pulling me into a kiss.

It's like he's never going to see me again. "Be careful. I expect to find you alive and perfectly healthy. If you think you cannot defeat them then you shift back immediately." He says. I nod and smile. "Ok you three, turn so I can strip." I say. Their eyes widen. "What?" Gimli asks.

"Turn. I will not rip these clothes unless I have to. Now do as I say. Aragorn when I am in wolf form pull my clothes in my bag. I want you to hold onto my weapons." I say. He nods and they all turn around. I quickly strip down and start to shift. I grunt in pain before I am fully a wolf.

I bark for them so they know it is safe. Aragorn then sets to work stuffing my clothes in my bag and closing it. I take it in my mouth and nod. "Come back to me safe my love." He says. I bob my head once more before taking off at wolf speed. I catch up to them by night fall.

I'm not the first person there though. I see men on horses killing all the orcs. I launch into action, ripping the bastards to shreds for what they did to us. Once they're all dead one of the men turns to me, a bow aimed at me. The lead one stops him though.

"Wait, it fought with us. It's the reason most of us are still alive. Can you comprehend what I am saying wolf?" He asks. I nod. "How?" He asks. Instead of answering I grab my bag that I left by the trees and wade into the forest, ignoring their calls for me. I do not want to show myself.

Finally they realize that I'm not coming back so they burn the orcs and then mount their steeds, taking off. Once I shift back and change I walk out and collapse on the ground, exhausted. I have no idea where Merry and Pippin are and I can't navigate this world without Legolas or Aragorn.

I'll just have to wait. I turn to the burning orcs. It smells. Scrunching my nose I raise my hand. "Bruciare supe terram, faciendo ignis ga praemium." I mutter. The entire pile explodes, then disintegrates. Thank God. Once that fire is out I go partially into the forest and grab some logs.

I place them in a pile before lighting them. I remember I have the food in my back and grab a small piece of that elven bread. With one bite I am full so I pack it up again. I sit by the fire, waiting, knowing that they won't be here until morning.

I'm tired, but I know I cannot sleep with the danger out there. I improvise. I rummage through my bags and find the salt that Sam left in here. Just enough to make a salt circle. I make the circle around me and my fire. Once that is done I set to work creating the barrier spell.

No living creature can get in here and nothing can see me. I'll be cloaked and protected. I mutter the spell and tie it to my heartbeat. It'll be good until Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. Once my spell is done I sit down by the fire. I continue to grow tried until I eventually fall into a blissful sleep.