fifteen

Tharn stumbled along the gravestones, a half empty bottle of vodka in his hand. He took a swig as he looked around, searching for one grave in particular. His father's.

    He had never actually visited his father's grave before, but is was in a small graveyard behind the church his family used to attend. There weren't many people buried in the graveyard. Only those with enough money and ties to the church got the privilege.

    He spotted his dad headstone and let out a biter laugh as he stumbled toward it. "Daddy!" He cheered, laughing loudly. He quickly covered his mouth and looked around to the other headstones. "Shit. Don't wanna wake the dead." He laughed at his stupid joke and squatted down next to his father grave. "Hello, daddy dearest. What some?" He offered the bottle towards the stone. "No. You were never much of a vodka drinker. More whiskey on the rocks."

    He sat down against his fathers grave and let out a sigh. He took another large, and long, swig from the bottle. 

    "10 thousand dollars, huh? You must have really wanted to get rid of him." He chuckled softly. "Then again, I don't know why I'm surprised. You've never spent more than a thousand on something that didn't benefit you in some way. Now, you're companies dead as a door nail. Just like you. I bet you're just rolling around in that coffin of yours, aren't you?" He took another swig. "You know, I used to think you were a god. You had all this money. People praised you. Kids wanted to be my friend at school because I had a daddy like you. I trusted you. I thought you would be happy for me. I finally found the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. The person I wanted to have a family with. I thought would be happy for me. Congratulate me. But no. Things like that weren't in your vocabulary." He said, slurring the last of his words a bit. "Instead, you offered him 10 thousand dollars. 10 thousand dollars!" He laughed loudly and pushed himself to stand up. "That's all you thought it would take to ruin my life? 10 thousand dollars and some conversation? Well, you were right daddy. That's all it took to ruin my life."

    Tharn took another swing from the bottle and shook his head. He looked the headstone up and down once more before turning to leave. He quickly stopped though, and turned back to the headstone. 

    "And you know what? After he left, I did everything you wanted me to do. I worked for your company. I worked for you. I let you comfort me in your own little weird way of no emotions, because I thought you were right. I thought that it was my fault. That when you said he could never love me truly, it was the truth. But still. Through all of this shit, I still love him." Tharn nodded with a smile. "That's right daddy. I'm a raging homo. A raging homo who is still in love with the man that broke my heart." Tharn shook his head, still smiling, before bursting out into tears. He chugged the rest of the alcohol from the bottle and took a deep breath. "I bet if you were here you would tell me I look really fucking gay." He laughed again. "Well, fuck you!" He yelled, throwing the bottle at the headstone. 

    He began crying again, this time harder. He dropped to his knees and leaned forward, placing his face in the grass. 

    There were no other sounds besides his sobs for the rest of the night. 

-

    The next morning, Tharn felt someone shaking his shoulders to wake him up. Then he heard their voice. 

    "Hey. Wake up, son. You been out here all night?" 

    Tharn opened his eyes slowly, wincing and covering his eyes as the sun glared down at him. He sat up slowly, feeling the immediate effects from his hangover. A raging headache and need to throw up. 

    He lunged forward, vomiting right in front of his father's headstone. He pulled himself up, wiping his mouth with the back of his jacket sleeve. He looked up at who he assumed was the groundskeeper. who was looking at him with a bit of disgust. 

    "Don't worry. He was a shit dad anyway." He clapped the man on the shoulder and walked past him, out to the front of the graveyard, so he could call a taxi. 

    He arrived home in about twenty minutes, due to traffic. When he did arrive home, though, Pao was waiting for him in the kitchen. 

    "Tharn. Where have you been? I checked for you when you didn't come down for breakfast, only to see that your bed hadn't been slept in. Your car was still in the driveway. You didn't leave a note or anything. I was worried." She let out a sigh and leaned forward onto the island. "I know you're a grown man, but still." 

    Tharn chuckled and shook his head. "Pao." He walked over and wrapped his arms around her shoulders. "I'm okay. I just....went to visit someone last night and ended up staying over. I would have texted, but I guess I forgot. I'm sorry." 

    She sighed. "You smell like vodka." 

    "I was careful. I didn't drink and drive, hence why my car was in the driveway." He kissed her on the top of her head and gave her one last squeeze before pulling away. 

    "Okay." She said. "Well, how did your conversation with Type go?" She questioned. 

     Tharn sighed and looked down at his feet, leaning against the counter with one hand. "Not great. We were both honest, though. Right now, I think that's what matters. I don't know exactly where we can go from here, but after a good venting session last night, it made me think about some things."

    Pao gave him a soft smile and caressed his cheek. "Well, whatever you decide, I'll be here for you."

    "Thank you, Pao." He said, giving her a smile back. "Now, I'm gonna go upstairs and take a shower and change. I have a letter to write."

__________

Thoughts on this chapter?