𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖋𝖎𝖛𝖊

"Ukai (Name), one of Japan's top three aces, faints at the end of a match against (X) University. Her family didn't give much details about her health status, but it seems like—"

Living 10 minutes away from campus means that you can't possibly be that late for classes. The new apartment is better than your old one, in many ways, one of them being that you don't have to take the bus anymore. Then why are you late, running on the halls to find your class? Goddammit, it's the first day too!

As you reach the big hardwood door, you open it and the teacher in front of the class stops to look at you. You are panting, hands on your knees, trying to catch your breath so you can apologize.

"Ukai—" He sighs as he sees your form and continues, "Take a sit and come on time from now on," he doesn't say anything else and you bow and sit in an empty desk. "And don't run to class", he adds before returning to what he was saying earlier. It seems like the university is now aware of your condition, of your failure. Usually, he would have scolded you, since you were always late to his classes last year—it was the bus's fault!—but he dropped it for today. You pull out your notebook and laptop and begin paying attention to him, unaware of the two pairs of eyes watching you from across the class.

"Oh? That's strange. What is she doing here?" The brown-haired boy asks the guy next to him, as both recognized you when you walked inside. He lifts his eyes and glances at you once, before returning to take notes.

"I don't know," that's all the olive-haired boy says and the other hums quietly. This is truly, truly interesting.

What are you, a second-year student, doing in a class for first years?

By the time your class ends, it's already lunch time. 'Thank God', you tell yourself, since you are starving. You forgot to set your alarm before going to bed last night and your two lovely roommates didn't wake you up before they left in the morning. You quickly pick up your things and head out, without realizing that the pair who watched you closely during class is now right behind you.

On your way to the cafeteria, your phone starts vibrating in your pocket. You pull it out, walking slower as you are reading the number on display. It's an unknown one so you contemplate for a few seconds if you should answer or not. You decide to take the call anyway; if it turns out to be a creep or a prank, you can just block the number. You lift the device to your ear, but before you can say anything, there is already a chaos on the other side of the line, voices overlapping. You are about to hang up, when it gets quiet and someone starts speaking.

"I'm sorry, is this Ukai (Name)?" There is a high-pitched voice talking, sounding more like a girl than a guy.

"Depends. Who's asking?"

"Ah! Umm...I'm Hinata Shoyo from Karasuno!" The name sounds familiar... Is he an old classmate? Oh, wait!—

"The small ginger from the volleyball team!" You exclaim, drawing the attention of the two behind you.

"Oh, you remember me!?" You laugh at the excitement in his voice.

"Of course I do! I'm sorry, I'm not good with names! But I cannot forget you that easily! The quick you and your setter do is amazing!"

"Did you hear that, Kageyama? (Name)-san complimented us!" He sounds like a child, unwrapping the gifts under the Christmas tree. You smile unconsciously. It's been a while since you had any type of interaction with someone else besides your roommates and family members. You realize that you are close to the cafeteria and eating and talking on the phone at the same time is rude so you decide to end the call, promising that after you finish all of your classes, you'll call them back.

"Shoyo-kun, I need to go. I'll call you later, okay? Also, you need to tell me how you got my number".

"Ukai-san gave it to us. He said that you got out of the hospital some time ago so we wanted to check on how you are!" That makes your heart melt. A person you've only seen once cares so much about you. In his eyes, you are still a powerful ace, a model for him. He doesn't see you like a failure...

"How sweet of my brother. Talk to you soon then—"

"Ah! Before you hang up! Did you hear that Ushijima-san and Oikawa-san are attending your university? They might even be in your classes," those names you will never be able to forget. Shiratorizawa and Seijoh's captains...

"Ah, I wasn't there when the teacher called our names so I can't know. Today I was planning to watch your matches against them so I still don't know how they look like, sorry. I felt really under the weather for these past few months so I couldn't catch up with anything..." you whisper the last sentence, hoping that he won't hear you. You cut all ties with volleyball: no news, no matches watched, nothing. The only things you knew were from your brother: Karasuno won against Seijoh and Shiratorizawa, but lost at the nationals.

"(Name)-san, are you—"

"I'm okay, don't worry!" Your phone is snatched from your hand by someone from behind you. You turn around to confront the robber, but are met with a large grin and big, brown eyes that give off an air of confidence. He takes the device to his ear and starts speaking in a childish voice.

"Chibi-chan, don't worry about your precious senpai! Ushiwaka-chan and I will take care of her! Bye-bye!" He hangs up and hands you back your phone, still grinning. You stare at him, shocked, a lot of things going through your mind at the same time. He is... Wait! Then the one next to him is—

"It's a pleasure to meet you! I'm Oikawa Toru! This bastard here is Ushijima Wakatoshi," he nods and you keep looking back and forth between them. You stopped walking a while ago, when Oikawa took your phone.

Is this the worst day of your life? For how long they've been there? Thank goodness you didn't say anything stupid...

"How about we eat lunch together? We have a lot to discuss. I'm really curios about why you are attending our classes," he proposes. Your mouth is agape; you are still not saying anything. You nod vaguely and start following the two men.

Yep, it is the worst day of your life.

•••••••••••••••

I know I said I wouldn't update anything for another month, but I had this chapter almost done so I couldn't help myself. Now that Ushijima and Oikawa are here, things are finally getting interesting. 'Ohmygod, they are classmates'.

This will be a very slow slow-burn with a bunch of crack and embarrassing moments. Some angst here and there, but not much. Just reader-chan being depressed basically. (mood)

I have to admit that I'm not a college student so I'll try to keep details about school to a minimum. I'm no longer a high-school student either since my year ended yesterday, I just have to take my exams. (That's why I'm going on hiatus).