3

Scorpius POV:

"Boys line up along the wall to my right! Girls to the one to my left!" Headmistress McGonagall calls out sternly, her voice amplified by magical projection. The room falls relatively(as in not even close to)silent as the two groups separate. Albus and I exchange a glance as we take our places opposite to the girls. The fourth-years from all four houses are here to learn how to slow dance because apparently it's a life skill? One my mother taught to me at a young age...

"I don't see why we have to dance with girls," Albus mutters under his breath, eyeing the group of them who are specifically avoiding standing in front of the Slytherin guys.

"Oh?" I ask him in surprise. I hadn't guessed Al wouldn't like dancing with a girls. After all, he had infamously fancied Delphi. Voldemort's daughter... It suddenly feels like the walls are closing around me and I pinch my arm hard to bring me back to reality. The last thing I need is to have a panic attack in front of everyone in my year.

"I didn't mean to say that out loud," Albus laughs awkwardly and I see his face is now slightly flushed.

"It's fine," I reassure him quickly so he doesn't have to feel embarrassed. Before I can ask anything about his previous statement, the Headmistress speaks again.

"As you all know, the date of the annual school dance is approaching. I'm sure many of you have started pairing up and breaking hearts, as those at your age tend to do, but one thing is for sure: You're going to want to know how to dance," the crowded room is ignited back into roaring conversation and Albus rolls his eyes.

"What if we already know how to dance?" A familiar voice calls out above the ruckus from the girl's side. Rose's bright hair is easy to spot in the middle of the crowd. Plus it helps that people have moved away from her so they won't be associated in talking back to the Headmistress.

"There she goes again," Albus comments dryly. I nod slowly, admiring her brilliant air of courage from afar.

"Miss. Granger-Weasley, why am I not surprised?" McGonagall sighs, "I guess you're volunteering yourself to help demonstrate. Come along," she beckons her hand and Rose holds her head high as she makes her way to stand at the middle of the Great Hall. "Would anyone else like to join her?"

"You know how to dance, right?" Al asks me in a lowered-tone as little murmurs spread over the boys' side.

"She'd never forgive me," I reply instantly. As much as I may want to dance with Rose, this is most certaintly not an ideal setting.

"Would you rather she be stuck with someone who can't dance? Come on, mate!" Albus nudges me firmly and I'm forced to take a big step forward, now literally standing out from the rest. I meet Rose's eyes in a silent apology as the room shuts up to stare at me.

"I see Mr. Malfoy has volunteered. Very well then! Step up!" I feel heat crawling across my face as I shoot Al a glare. Whispers arise from both sides of the room and I try to tune them out. I've had my fair share of rumors so ignoring others' opinions is almost second nature.

"Seriously?" Rose hisses at me when I pause next to her, blue eyes narrowing. I gesture towards Albus who's currently giving me a not-very-subtle thumbs up. Her eyes widen in understanding and she brushes an invisible strand of hair out of her face. "Fine."

"You will be slow dancing toge-" McGonagall starts but Rose cuts her off.

"Bloody hell no!" Rose exclaims indignantly. The room fills with laughter as I try to keep my face neutral. Albus this was a rubbish idea!!! I mentally chide at my friend.

"Miss. Granger-Weasley! Language!!" McGonagall snaps. "Mr. Malfoy, take her hand like so and place the other on her back," Rose shoots me a death glare as I comply. She puts her hand reluctantly on my shoulder and we make eye contact for a split second before she looks away. Once we're in position, a nice track of music starts that I recognize.

Rose leads, taking me by surprise, but I manage to follow along pretty well. She steps on my foot once and I wince in pain, stumbling slightly. She mutters an apology and we manage to make it around the rest of the room without further incident. I can't believe how close we are, and how she's not actually insulting me OR trying to hex me! When the finally music stops, I come back to the reality where our classmates are actually silent for once, just staring at the two of us. I let go of Rose immediately, turning an embarrassing shade of red.

"Well then, seems you two CAN dance. I look forwards to seeing you both on the dance floor in a few weeks time," the Headmistress tells us with a smile at my dance partner. Rose rolls her eyes for show, but when she looks back at me, her usual cold look is completely gone from her expression.

I make it through the rest of the slow-dance session in a trance-like state, dancing with random girls who clearly have never been to a formal event in their lives. After getting my feet totally destroyed by their heels, I once again find myself wishing I could dance with boys instead. Then at least the shoes wouldn't hurt that badly and I could tease Albus about it after...

"Dismissed!" McGonagall finally calls out after a painful eternity. I let go of my last partner and walk away very, very fast. I don't care if I'm being rude to her since right now I just want to find Albus. I look around but I can't seem to find my friend over the crowd of people. I'm about to go back to the dormitory to wait for him when I hear a voice behind me.

"Hey! Malfoy!" I turn around to see Rose, pretty as ever, coming out of a crowd of Gryffindor girls.

"Hullo, Rose," I tell her, trying to act nonchalant about the fact the girl I think I've liked for ages has finally spoken my name without contempt. "Are you alright?"

"Yes, perfectly fine. Minus all the prats who have ruined my boots," she comments sarcastically. I laugh, and to my surprise she joins in. "Actually I, uh, wanted to apologize. For how I've been acting," I blink in surprise as she rambles on in a very not Rose-like manner. "I took my dad's words to heart and didn't give you a chance to be my friend. But you're nice. And you're a good dancer who saved me from dancing with any of the other horrid ones. So uhm I'm trying to say... Hogmeade? Saturday?" Before I can answer or process I hear someone else calling my name.

"Scorp!!!" I hear Albus's voice from the right and turn, my mind still processing everything Rose just said.

"So?" Rose asks, tapping her foot. For the first time ever, the daughter of Hermione Granger actually looks, well, nervous. I turn back around to face her again.

"Okay," I smile at her. "Deal!"

"Alright, great. See you in Potions!" She waves and runs off, leaving me alone to process and find Albus.