31

Scorpius's POV

"Harry, leave our kid alone. I'm sure he has a lot of catching up to do," Al's mum gently interrupts Mr. Potter's list of all of the things Albus should remember while they're out shopping. I lost track of what he was saying after the 'no summoning evil spirits to pull a prank on your sister' rule. Like Al and I would try that again after what happened last time...

"Just don't burn the house down," my grandmother whispers so only I can hear, hugging me tightly before pulling on her coat. I nod, slightly unnerved. She pulls on her black gloves and glances at Albus before looking back to me with a wink. I feel my cheeks go red at the implication. I'm not that daft...

"BYE!!!" Albus escapes from his mum's hug and rushes up the stairs as fast as he can, rudely stranding me with the adults downstairs.

"I, uh, better make sure he doesn't get lost. He does that a lot. Getting lost, I mean," I feel my face turn hot as Al's parents exchange a glance. "Have a nice trip!" I say quickly, hurrying up the spiraling staircase after my best friend. I turn around once I reach the next floor just in time to see the door close behind the strange-looking party of six. I smile and glance back at the deserted hallway behind me.

"Albus?" I call out, scanning the room next to me for my best mate. He can't have gotten that far away.

"I'm here, Scorp! Wherever here is...?" I hear Al's muffled voice coming from a room down to the left. I make my way in to find Albus staring at a painting I recognize, apparent confusion lining his face. He looks back at me sheepishly and I smile, walking over to where he's standing.

I glance up at the solid green painting in front of us and realize exactly what he's looking at. I decide to try and impress him, taking out my wand carefully. Revelio! I command, using the nonverbal magic I've been practicing. The painting shifts, gradually adding shapes and colors until it resorts back to the infamous Malfoy Family Tree. I was told there used to be scorch marks in place of people who had become "blood traitors," but one of the first things my grandmother did once she got home from the wizarding war was to repair every picture. With all of the names written in flowing gold, I can't actually tell who's faces she had to repair.

"Woah..." Albus breathes softly and I turn to watch his eyes scan the portrait in awe. The wonder on his face is infectious and I can't help but grin.

"Pretty neat, huh?" I turn back to the huge portrait and my breath catches in my throat as I spot the delicate picture of a beautiful brunette woman beaming next to my father. I didn't realize the image would be a trigger until it was too late.

I forget how to breathe as my eyes water over, blurring my vision. Flashes of memories stab at my mind, voices overlapping in a chorus of loud screams too garbled to make out. I gasp, trying desperately to breathe as the walls close in around me.

A heartbreaking image of my mother imprints in my head and the tears come out in watery tides. I feel the brunt of the collision in my knees as I fall to the floor, shaking uncontrollably.

*

My mother coughs again, face now paler than a ghost against her dark pillow. I feel my father's grip grow tighter on my shoulder and I blink away tears, trying desperately to smile for my mother. Her glazed eyes meet mine and a tiny smiles settles on her lips. "I love you" she mouths, even when dying still full of unbreakable hope. Mum starts coughing again: dry, rasping coughs that each manage to kill another piece of my heart.

My father pushes me to the door without a word, trying to shelter me from the worst of this moment.

That was the last time I saw my mother alive.

*

A grounding weight settles on my shoulders and I manage to open my eyes weakly. Al's lips move in front of my eyes but I can't make out whatever he's trying to tell me. My heartbeat is too loud in my ears, the erratic beating consuming everything else. Black starts creeping into my vision, turning everything into steadily fading colors. Al's eyes are all I can see as the lack of oxygen finally takes its toll. The last thing I remember is falling forwards into his waiting arms.

*****

"Please wake up..." I hear a quiet voice whisper, splitting through the darkness in my mind like Albus always manages to do.

"Come back to me, please," Al's voice breaks slightly. I try to say something to reassure him that I'm okay, but I find my mouth isn't working right. I try to move my fingers, but I can't. It's like I'm paralyzed.

"I haven't seen you in months and now I'm finally here with you and you... you're...  yo-" He doesn't know I can hear him... I realize. A hand brushes away a strand of hair from my face and I'm actually glad I can't blush right now. This would probably be considered sweet if I wasn't stuck here.

"God, why is it always YOU? I deserve this a million times more than you do. I thought torture was pain... I didn't know it was... it was actually seeing you in pain like this. How can you- how do you keep going, you idiot. Just wake up. Please. I'm so sorry... please," Albus begs. Even though I can't see him, I can tell that he is choking on tears.

I want to reach out for him. I've only been with him for two days and I've already managed to hurt him. This is why I couldn't tell him before. The agony in his voice is eerily similar to how it is my nightmares. This is my fault... I try to open my eyes, but they're still stuck closed. It's like I can't find the right muscle that I use to blink.

"You always wake up, right?" Albus's voice grounds me again, taking the edge off my panic at the situation. I don't think he knows how much he's saving me right now by staying by my side. "I'm such an idiot. I should have said something earlier about your condition. I should have known you were in pain from your letters..." I feel whatever I'm laying on shift underneath me as a shaking hand takes mine.

"I love you, Scorp," he whispers so softly I can barely hear, "You have to wake up so I can finally tell you..."