37

Scorpius's POV

The door to my room opens with a creak and I rub my eyes sleepily. I blink quickly before looking up to see my father shut the door behind him. He walks over to my bedpost wearily and I push myself into a sitting position, still shaking off sleep.

"You slept in," my father comments with a small smile, fixing his blonde ponytail.

"Yeah," I stifle another yawn on cue. I glance down to my bedside and see that it reads 12 o'clock. Noon already? My heart sinks.

"I would have let you sleep, but I figured you'd want to spend as much time as possible with Pottah Jr," my father doesn't even blink at the casual statement.

"Right," I try to make my statement sarcastic, but I fail since that's exactly what I want to do. I'm pretty sure James has told everyone in the house about catching Albus and I snogging, since he was never one for keeping secrets. The fact everyone knew about Teddy Lupin and Victoire Weasley before she had even stepped out of the Express just proves the extent of his abilities. Well, time for my early death plan...

I look up to see my father watching me with a piercing stare. I'm taken off guard by how slumped his shoulders are. "What's wrong?" I ask quietly, sitting up straighter.

"Nothing," My father reassures in a quiet voice, but there's that careful deadpan behind the words thatI know to well. The terrifying 'I-need-to-tell-you-something-now' look is now written across his face.

"What's. Wrong?" I demand again, searching his eyes frantically. I'm trying to push away the startling anxiety that's now playing with my mind.

"Albus is fine," My father assures me, sending me a wry smile. I let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding. "I should have clarified."

"So something IS wrong," I confirm, narrowing my eyes suspiciously. He sighs, his whole body still radiating concern. My father moves to sit down on the chair next to my bed, picking up my wand in a fluid motion. His steely grey eyes examine it for a split second before he carefully sets it next to my clock.

"I need to tell you something," He finally replies.

"What do you need to tell me?" I ask, nerves causing my insides to clash together. I lean back and cross my arms over my chest protectively.

"The doctor doesn't think you're fit to return to Hogwarts in the two days," my father says, looking away. It takes a moment for the words to register.

"NO!" The shock is immediate and overwhelming. I bury my head in my hands, begging for this to be another nightmare. "No...."

"And I agree with him," My father continues slowly, placing an ice cold hand on my shoulder.. I stay there for a moment, just breathing hard. "Scorpius..." his voice cracks and suddenly I can hear every bit of pain he's tried to hide from me. My heart breaks all over again as I understand why I can't go. He can't lose anyone else.

We stay there for a moment, silent. It's funny how quickly emotions can turn in to an incomprehensible mess. After the pain in my cheat has turned numb, I stop covering my face and look up.

"I'm so sorry," I turn to face him, my eyes watering. He pulls me into a tight hug and the bitterest edge is taken out of the announcement by the motion. But the hurt is still there since it feels like I just lost Albus all over again.

*****

CLANG!!! I ignore the muffled sound since I'm positive my grandmother has it covered. Strange noises have become a daily occurrence with James in the house. Plus, I have a different Potter I need to find right now. I enter the main sitting room and peer inside to check for my friend. Instead, a woman with red hair looks up as I walk in, a grin spreading across her face.

"Hello Scorpius," Al's mum greets me warmly, standing up from her seat. I smile tightly, unsure of how I'm supposed to act. On one hand... Ginny Potter is a famous Quidditch Star, married to THE HARRY POTTER. And then on the other hand, she's Albus's mother. Both prospects make her equally terrifying.

"Hullo," I say, waving even though she's less than half a room away. I nearly smack my face at at how stupid I'm being.

"Are you looking for Albus?" She questions, tilting her head slightly as I feel my cheeks go hot. I could have the worst fight in the world with Al, but the sound of his name would probably still make me feel like fainting.

"Yes, actually," I stutter out. She nods, and I can see Albus in the smiles she sends my way.

"I'm pretty sure Lily dragged him upstairs. You just missed him," Al's mum informs me with a sigh.

"Oh. I see," A different sort of disappointment rushes through me. "Um thanks though."

"Of course. Are you in a hurry?" She asks me, pushing a wave of red curls behind an ear. "It's been four days and I still haven't gotten to meet my son's best friend," She winks and I fidget, instantly even more nervous.

"Yeah. I have a minute," I still have to force my body to cooperate as I walk over.

"Grand!" Mrs. Potter says enthusiastically.

"Uh... what do you want to know?" I ask carefully, pausing a reasonable distance away. Why do I have to be so awkward about everything??

"Whatever you want to tell me," She shrugs. "Any embarrassing stories about Albus...?" Al's mum winks conspiratorially and I instantly determine that she's a cool mom. I think back quickly and nearly laugh as a memory surfaces instantly.

"We were supposed to turn a newt into a wristwatch in Transfiguration, but Albus was 'brilliant' enough to turn his into a newt that ticked exactly like a clock. And it wouldn't stop ticking for at least an hour," I tell her with a smile, "Our professor was so confused."

"Sounds like him alright," His mum taps her finger to her chin thoughtfully. There's a small beat. "Is it true that you're top of your class?"

"Yeah. Behind Rose. In Slytherin, I guess I am. Rose is Gryffindor. So yes?" I ramble on like an idiot but Mrs. Potter doesn't seem to notice.

"Well done! My son speaks very highly of you," Mrs. Potter stares at me and I shift on my feet, biting my cheek hard to keep from blushing again. "Well, I won't keep you any longer. It was wonderful to meet you, Scorpius."

"It was nice to meet you too, Mrs. Potter," I tell her hurriedly.

"I'm glad my son has such a wonderful friend," she says softly and I barely catch it in my hurry out the door. Warmth blooms in my chest as I run up the stairs. Now to find Albus....