27

Scorpius's POV

"To pass this exam, you must successfully use the summoning charm on an object bigger than your head," I read under my breath, pushing my cuffed white sleeves up my arms in preparation. I look up from the parchment Professor Fitwick's instructions are on and take my stance. I breath in, point my wand carefully at the sitting room door, and close my eyes so I can concentrate better. I try to visualize my broomstick, which is currently sitting three floors down.

"Accio broom!" I call out, flicking my wand. I keep the clear image in my mind, mentally commanding that my broom come to me. I wait a few, nerve-racking seconds until I can hear a loud thump as an object comes racing into the room. My eyes shoot open and a grin spreads across my face as I look in triumph at the object now caught my left hand.

"Care to explain the two, ancient, now-broken family heirlooms in the hallway?" I look up, smiling dropping instantly as I catch sight of my grandmother's disapproving look.

"U-uh... Charms test?" I offer awkwardly, gesturing weakly to the paper lying on the arm of the chair next to me. She laughs, stern facade falling away.

"I was kidding, darling," I sigh in relief, tucking my wand back into my robe pocket. "I already repaired them," my grandmother steps into the living room and shoots dissatisfied look at the broom in my hands.

"Uh... do you need anything?" I ask awkwardly, setting the broom down next to the couch.

"No," she states simply. A motion catches my eye and I look down to see her twisting the ring on her finger sharply. My grandmother smiles tightly and clasps her hands behind her back before I can ask about it.

"Okay?" I'm now more than a little confused.

"Have you finished your lessons for the day?" She asks suddenly, standing up straighter.

"Well... yeah-" I start to explain that I'm currently practicing for my return to Hogwarts next month, but she cuts me off.

"Good. Follow me," my grandmother turns around and gracefully walks out of the door, white outfit almost making her ghostly in appearance. I hurry after her, struggling to keep up with her long strides.

"Why? Where are we going?" I ask but receive no answer. I stay silent for the rest of the way, half-jogging through the long halls. I don't know why our house is so ridiculously big, but it just is, and I get a lot of unneeded exercise because of it...

"Grab a coat, it's cold," my grandmother tells me when we finally reach our destination, which seems to be the front door.

"But-"

"It's cold and we're going to be outside for a bit, so grab a coat," my grandmother gives me a look and I quickly grab my black cloak from the  twisted coat-stand. She pulls on her light grey coat and then ties up her white hair in a single motion. I slip into my shoes before she opens the door and steps out. I follow her down the path out front, turning right to enter one the the closed-off garden spaces we haven't actually used since... since my mom died.

"Why did you bring me here?" I ask quietly, looking around to try and spot if anything's out of the ordinary.

"It's time you learned a spell that's actually useful," my grandmother answers, whipping out her black wand. I step back on instinct, panic rushing through me at the familiar motion. She's not Delphi. So it's Okay. I'm Okay. I try to relax as she starts casting defensive wards around the area so that no muggles can accidentally spot us.

"Which spell?" I venture to ask another question.

"The fire-making charm. Good for parties," she tells me dryly. Seeing my grandmother using sarcasm so freely makes me smile, almost making up for the fact she wants to teach me such a dangerous spell.

"Oh... Am I allowed to learn that?"

"Yes. Now wand out," she directs. I pull out my new wand and shiver slightly as cool air rushes past my cloak. A fire spell does sound useful in the winter, I can't exactly deny that.

"I'm ready," I tell her with a tight smile, gripping my wand tighter.

"Good. Now repeat after me: Incendio!"

*****

"Ow..." I touch the top of my skull gingerly and check to make sure there's no blood. My hand comes into my vision clean, but it still feels like someone's hammering their way out of my head.

"Practice done. Good job, Dear. We can try again tomorrow after you rest," my grandmother flicks her wand and the barriers comes down around us, allowing us to get back into the house. She offers me a hand to stand up, which I take gladly. I look up to see a setting sun casting streaks of rose across the sky and the date suddenly hits me.

"Doesn't Albus come tomorrow?" I question hopefully.

"Right... Yes, the Potters should arrive late afternoon," my grandmother says, hesitating slightly. "We should prepare the bedrooms now."

"Wait. The Potters? As in plural?! When did-"

"I may have decided the house was too empty for this time of year," she starts walking towards the house and I hurry to walk besides her, head still spinning slightly from when I knocked it against the ground. I hadn't anticipated being thrown backwards by the force of the powerful spell.

"So you invited Mr. and Mrs. Potter?" I try to clarify, letting the information sink in.

"And Albus's siblings of course," she confirms casually.

"Oh. Of course. Does Father know?!" I freeze, eyes going wide. I know he hated Al's dad their school years... so this is sure not to go over well.

"He'll figure it out soon enough," my grandmother smirks slightly and I remember that Narcissa Malfoy was, in fact, the female Slytherin Prefect her fifth year for a reason. Sometimes, it's easy to forget the remarkable and cunning side my grandmother possesses within her.

"Then we should certainly get the rooms ready for them all," I agree with a smile. Albus arrives in less than 24 hours! So... why am I so nervous?