40

Albus's POV

I think I might be sick. The portkey we took to Platform 9 and 3/4 wasn't any easier on my insides than the one to Malfoy Manor. On the other hand, maybe the twisting of my insides is because this is goodbye. An 'I'll see you in two months' goodbye that I'm not ready for in the slightest.

"Private quidditch pitch. Gone!!!" James grumbles before plopping down sullenly on his suitcase. "And, uh, loving parents..." he adds on as an after thought, propping his head up with a fist. The miserable look on his face almost makes me laugh aloud.

"GOOD RIDDANCE!" Lily cries loudly, raising her fist in triumph at finally leaving Malfoy Manor. Mum elbows her and gives a very strong warning look. "I'm sorry. I mean: I will miss that stuffy house forever and ever and ever," My younger sister corrects herself dryly with a smirk.

"She's working on her manners," My father explains to Narcissa Malfoy with an apologetic look.

"The lessons clearly aren't TAKING," My mum says through gritted teeth. She takes Lily's arm and drags her away, muttering something about having not having any respect. I'm currently 'missing in action' from the normal Potter family bickering. I guess I'm just not feeling like it today.

"So... this was interesting," Scorp comments from behind, making me jump in surprise. I hadn't seen him walk over to me from where he'd been standing besides his father.

"Erm... yeah. My sister can't seem to stop with the sarcasm," I shrug and turn to face him, almost knocking into his chin in the process. I hadn't realized we were so close.

"Remind you of anyone?" Scorp teases lightly.

"Nope. Not at all," I say sarcastically, earning a cute grin from my best friend.

"Good," a voice cuts in, "You're together," I look up to see Mr. Malfoy watching us with a raised eyebrow.

"Why is that a good thing?" I ask, immediately flustered. Does he mean dating? We aren't dating. Are we? Is good meaning yes, that's good to be together, even though we're not, or-

"Christmas picture," Scorp's father explains with a sigh before leading us over a little ways to a less crowded part of the station. "Your grandmother's very particular," Mr. Malfoy tells Scorpius before walking over to help Narcissa position the camera opposite to where my entire family is waiting.

"Finally," Narcissa crowds us all together into one frame with a weird determination. I end up at the end, of course put next to my annoyingly taller best friend. "Say Hogwarts!" Scorp's grandmother calls out before clicking a button. In the split second that it takes for her to get it working, I feel Scorp's hand slip around my waist. Which is for the purpose of the photo. I think. Narcissa's camera flashes and she pulls out the picture, examining it quickly. The train whistles behind us and I realize that I'm some among the last students still on the platform.

"Let's let them have some space," My mum stage-whispers, indicating to Scorp and me. I can't even find it in myself to be mortified at her grin at this point. I shoot a glare at James, daring him to mess up anything.

"Two months," Scorpius states with a broken smile, shifting to face me.

"Yeah. Two months," I attempt to nod bravely, but then again I'm not a Gryffindor... the motion feels weak, even to me. My beat friend's face lights up with thousands of emotions but he hesitates, as if he wants to say something else.

"You have to owl me. A lot," he ends up insisting and I grin at my friend.

"Can you owl me with all of the completed Transfiguration homework?" I ask hopefully. It's at this moment, I realize that Scorp's hand is still resting casually on my waist as we stand face to face. My face starts going red on cue.

"ALBUS!" He tries to glare but I can spot the smile underneath.

"So that's a solid no then..." I trail off. He sighs and his gray eyes glint with... something. Worth a try, I decide with a smile. The whistle blows again and I realize I probably only have a couple minutes before I need to board the train. "I guess this is... goodbye then."

"Not goodbye," Scorpius corrects hurriedly. "I'll be back before you know I'm gone."

"You need to stop listening to muggle music," I roll my eyes as he shoots me the dorkiest grin in the world.

"Never," he shakes his head, "But I do miss you already," Scorp says quietly and I can plainly see his grey eyes are full of regret.

"I'm right here," I remind him.

"You know what I mean," he sighs.

"We can do this," I try to reassure him, even as my heart falls in my chest. Before I'm totally aware of it, my hand reaches up to cup his face. I don't think I can help it at this point.

"Okay," Scorp agrees softly before leaning in. Even if we're technically in a station full of people, it feels like we're the only two here when his lips gently brush mine. It'll be two more months before I can do this again, so disappointment rises inside me when he finally pulls away.

"I should go," I mumble, blushing furiously as I spot my mum watching us from over Scorp's shoulder.

"Train to catch," My best mate agrees with a small smile.

"See you soon," I tell him, awkwardly moving to grab my stuff. I make it half-way to the Hogwarts Express, not daring to look back at our parents, before someone stops me.

"I have to talk to you," Narcissa tells me firmly, a troubling smile playing at the corner of her mouth. This should be... fun.

"What?" I ask, wincing as her face instantly becomes stone cold.

"Don't break my grandson's heart. If you do anything to cause him pain, I swear I will find you and make your life worse than you could ever imagine," She threatens and I unconsciously take a step back. I'm afraid of this woman for a great reason.

"Y-yes ma'am," I stutter and there's a short silence.

"Well... run along then!" Scorp's grandmother says, smiling like nothing happened. I turn back towards the train, head spinning slight. I pick up Arthur's cage and start walking again, navigating through the small crowd that's gathered near the edge of the platform.

"Leaving without saying goodbye to your mother?" I hear a familiar voice tease. I turn to see my mum grinning at me. "I have a present for you."

"Well erm I'm already late and I-" I start but she cuts me off.

"It's a photo Scorpius's grandmother took when we arrived at the station," My mum presses a colorful picture into my hand. For a moment there quiet as my breath catches. The picture is of course animated like most magical ones are. I stay silent as I watch Photo Scorp laugh at something Photo Al's said. AyThe miniature version of me sticks his tongue out and Scorp grins balefully.

"Thanks Mum," I say quietly and she nods, pushing me towards the train without another word. "Love you!" I pick up my luggage again and race onto the Hogwarts Express. As I walk down the corridor, I spot Rose waving at me from her seat in the middle of my other cousins. I wave back with a smile but still end up sitting down in my usual, now-empty compartment.

The train is already in motion by the time I arrive, so I slump against my seat, lonely all over again. I pick up the picture I had placed next to me and smile as it moves again. It looks like even a picture can tell I love my best friend.