6

Albus's POV:

Once flying class starts, Albus and Rose race off together, not looking back. They had helped me get my broom to rise into my hand, but it seemed nothing could help it get me off of the ground. Madame Hooch spent a few minutes coaching me, but I only managed to hover shakily a few feet up.

"Okay, Potter. Just continue to practice down here for the rest of class. You're getting closer," Professor Hooch tells me gruffly, finally giving up on me. I bet she's never said that to a Potter before, a nagging voice in my mind whispers. My hands clench around my broom as I lower down to the rough ground with a thud. This prompts several "are you okay"s, but not from the one person with gray eyes that I really want to hear it from. The rest of my classmates take to the field, and I squint to try and find Scorpius among them.

I see a flash of red hair that can only belong to Rose far above the field and manage to glimpse the platinum-blonde boy trailing behind her. Not able to see any details about what they're doing, I look away, idiotic jealousy settling in the pit of my stomach.

What I would give to be up there with him, I think bitterly. I walk up to the quidditch bleachers and take a seat, all alone in the stands. My classmates wiz by and I pretend it doesn't bother me like it always does. I'm a Potter. A Slytherin squib of a Potter.

Class ends a half-hour later after a mock-quidditch practice. Rose and Scorp were actually on the same team for once after much pleading, so it was pretty much over before it began. I hop off the bleachers when the ending whistle is blown and walk over to where I know Scorp will be waiting for me. Yet, when I approach, he's not waiting  like he always is. It's not like him to be late. I stay for a bit, awkwardly leaning on the castle wall.

I hear his voice and glance over to see him and Rose laughing together. A tiny voice in my head of reason tells me Scorp just didn't see me, but a scowl tugs on the corners of my mouth nevertheless as I run my fingers through my hair. I decide to wait a few minutes, but he still doesn't walk over, since he's absorbed in talking to my ginger cousin. I finally decide to walk to class, as a gloomy look settles on my face. This is going to be the rest of my life while they are dating, isn't it?

My suspicion is confirmed soon enough when Scorp and Rose run in, equally late, to Herbology. A mischievous smile plays across Scorp's features, and I can't help but glare daggers at him. He sits down next to me with an oblivious thump.

"Rose and I raced broom and she laughed with me! Not at me! WITH me! Al! It's finally happening!" he tells me in a whisper, eyes shining with happiness.

"Yes! It is, Scorp!" I say with a convincing smile but pausing a bit too long at the end. He frowns, catching on that something's still not right between us. That is quickly forgotten however when Rose picks up her stuff and comes to sit next to Scorpius, causing whispers to brew. She ties up her wind-blown hair into a ponytail and smiles, with full dimples, like she knows exactly what she's doing. Which SHE always does.

"We'll talk later," Scorpius states, still staring oddly at me. He turns back to talk to Rose, who actually seems to want to chat with him, leaving me in my thoughts. Funny how everything can change overnight. I don't say much of anything all day, speaking only when I am asked something. My conversations go a bit like this:

Scorp: "Want to play Gobstones with me?"
"No thanks."

Rose: "What is the incantation for turning something into a mouse?"
"Snufflifors."

Both: "Are you okay?"
"Yes."

Mid-way through this routine, I remember something. Mum's words come back to me: Send me a letter, honey. If you need anything. Anything at all. I'll miss you.

After Potions, I have a free period, so I decide to send a letter to my mum. I find myself in the owlery surrounded by hoots and overall ruckus, as the gray speckled Albie hops onto a tree branch. I take a quill out of my robe and scratch out a note on a sheet of paper, pausing as I write racked with indecision.

Dear Mum,
At Hogwarts it's transitioning into the winter season, and I realize I haven't written to you since September. Not much has happened here since I last wrote. Professor Binns announced his retirement last week and Professor Trelawny told Lewis, a boy in my class, that he was going to face death, but by now no one believed her. After all, she's 0 for 5 years. Also, Scorpius made the Slytherin Quidditch team! Did you know that already? He's actually pretty good! I guess he got the Quidditch genes from Draco. Though, I guess I know all too well the Quiditch genes can skip a generation. Anyways, to get to the point, I'm sending this letter because I had a fight with Scorpius and I don't have any other people I can tell this to besides him. I have a question, if you could at least try and answer. What should you do when you have a crush on someone but they clearly like someone else? I know you probably can't give me any advice on my love life, and you probably don't know what to do, but please write back.
Lots of love,
Albus Potter

I open my owl, Arthur's, cage and he nips me while I attach the letter to his talon. I ruffle his feather before carrying him to the big window.

"Ginny Potter," I command, setting him free. I watch as he flies off, now unsure of my decision to ask for help. Knowing I can't avoid Scorp forever, I reluctantly head back to the common room.

"Al... something's wrong. Please tell me what it is," he asks, ambushing me as soon as I step into the dormitory.

"It's nothing," I lie, knowing there's nothing I can really say to him. "Let's see," I start talking again, franticallysearching for a new topic, "What will you get Rose for your date tomorrow?"

"Oh uh... I was going to give her this pendant..." He mumbles, smiling nervously. "I hope she likes it!" Scorpius pulls out a silver string attached to a beautiful golden object with delicate wings. A snitch.

"Oh! I'm sure she'll love it. You've been planning this like forever," I remind him.

"But, what if she hates it?" He asks, adorably biting his lower lip out of anxiety. Ugh stop thinking of how cute he looks, I think, which of course makes me think of it more.

"Don't tell me you're nervous now," I laugh at him. "The girl of your dreams just asked you to go to Hogsmead with her. You need to let go and have fun," I advise, pretending I don't care about it in the slightest.

"You're right," he stops pacing and smiles back at me.

"You'll be snogging tomorrow in the hallways," I tease bitterly.

"S-snogging?? What?!?" He visibly freaks out.

"Uhhhh yes?" I ask, confused, "Scorp calm down," I pipe, "Remember you have wanted this exact thing to happen for years. You have an entire marriage plan!"

"Yeah well maybe??" The blonde-haired boy shrugs and walks over to sit next to me. I stay silent for a bit, letting him pull out a book before I prod even more.

Still I can't help but slip out an exasperated "Maybe?"

"I don't know, this is all happening so fast. She goes from straight-up ignoring me to asking me out to Hogsmeade," he pauses and puts the book down in annoyance. "Plus, I have no idea how to," he shudders, "snog..."

Maybe it's because he looked over at me while he said that. Maybe it's because I've wanted to do it for so long. Maybe it's because I finally lost my mind completely. Whatever the reason is, I smile at him. And I quickly press my lips to his, lingering a second longer than I need to. Thinking of the unspoken words I mean to say in reply: It's like this.