II

"Ow!" Y/n yelled as Asahi smacked the back of his head. "What the frig, Asahi?!"

"Thats sensei to you!" Asahi barked back, making the e/c eyed boy grow a tick mark. "Quit your bickering and get to swinging!" he demanded and continued to demonstrate what to do. He didn't have anything to demonstrate with, so he used his arm as a katana, which looked incredibly stupid.

After Asahi took the boy in, he trained Y/n to become a demon slayer. Of course, it wasn't easy, and the h/c's lazy nature didn't agree with that, and he made that very clear. The two ended up yelling at each other half the time instead of actually training, but the younger boy was a fast learner, so it didn't take too long to master the technical part of all of the techniques. However, his injuries still restricted him from performing these techniques too much. After living together for nearly one and a half years, they had developed a father/brother-and-son bond. They loved each other to death, but Y/n claimed that Asahi was too strict, and the brunette insisted that Y/n was too stubborn.

Y/n let out a frustrated sigh and gripped his stick, getting into position. He grunted and swung it, earning himself another smack. "Thats wrong!" Asahi insisted and snatched the stick from the younger boy. Y/n grumbled some cuss words under his breath as he watched his brotherly figure swing a stick around and lecture him. Since he only technically knew how to do it, Y/n didn't know how to actually do it, meaning he had to pretty much learn it twice, which his lazy ass hated.

For the past year that Asahi took the boy in, he was training him. Of course, Y/n was injured when he first met him, so the first part of their training was practical- about demons, breathing, demon slaying, and most importantly the breathing technique that Asahi had mastered and Y/n was to learn. He had filled out almost 3 books with this information. Learning it wasn't easy either, and since this information was so vital, Asahi had quizzed Y/n on this about a billion times before he got 100% 3 times in a row. That lasted about 5 months, which is only a little sad. After that hell was over with, the boy kept whining at his tutor to finally let him practice fighting and handling a blade, but Asahi just smacked him each time and told him to wait until his wounds healed, which was another month. For the past year, he had been practicing his breathing, agility and strength, and the occasional swordsmanship every now and then, like they were doing today.

A couple of hours passed and Y/n had already caught onto the swinging trick, being able to execute it perfectly. As a small exercise, they went over all 9 breathing techniques and then their day wrapped up with some breathing exercises.

"Asahiiii!" Y/n whined and climbed a near by tree, slinging himself across a lower branch. "Can we have dinner already? Im starvin'!"

"You cant focus on training for more than 5 minutes can you?" Asahi let out a frustrated sigh and dropped the stick to the ground, pulling Y/n off the branch and seating him on his shoulders. "You're a really stubborn 11 year old, you know?"

"Lets just go, you made rice, ne?" Y/n grinned in response. Asahi nodded and rolled his eyes.

---time skip brought to you by Asahi and Y/n arguing---

Another 3 years had passed. Y/n was getting better by the day. Like I said, he was lazy, but an incredibly fast learner. His hearing got better too. According to Asahi, hearing is incredibly important for a slayer that practices breath of gold. Some breathing techniques are only effective on those with a specific sound aura, and being able to hear this is incredibly important. Y/n also picked up another skill: piano.  It started off as an exercise to improve perfect pitch, but the boy ended up really enjoying it and pursuing it farther. He really was talented. With Y/n's combination of cheeriness, piano skill and natural joy, him and Asahi always had a blast together. Sure, they argued every now and then, but it was nothing compared to how much he argued with his parents.

 Y/n's wounds had also healed completely, so his training got harder and harder. Unfortunately, the scar on his eye was permanent. It was nearly 7 centimetres long and cut through his eyebrow, onto his eyeball and onto his cheek bone. Since his eye was sliced, it had left him blind in one eye. It was extremely uncomfortable and seriously messed with his depth perception, but he managed to push through and not complain 24/7. It really bugged him that he had to work almost 3 times as hard because of it. Almost everyday he was beaten to a pulp, either by Asahi or him crudely tumbling down a mountain.

Evening rolled over the hills and Y/n and Asahi were peacefully eating their rice on their separate futons, Y/n on his f/c one and Asahi on a blue one.

"I cant believe I have nothing left to teach you" Asahi chuckled to himself and shook his head. Y/n lowered his bowl from his face, his mouth stuffed. He tilted his head quizzically. "Well, that's not true" the brunette mused. "Theres still... the fire dance of the golden dragon"

Y/n excitedly swallowed all his food and shuffled closer. He swallowed all of his food in one go, which he instantly regretted because of the rising pain in his throat, but he pushed past that. "Pray tell!"

"well," Asahi started, setting his bowl down. "Ive only used it once. It's a combination move that can only be done with a swordsman that uses breath of sun. But, I doubt you'd ever need to use it..." he shook his head. 

"How does one use it?" Y/n kept asking. 

"Stubborn kid..." Asahi let out an annoyed huff. "Its complicated, so listen carefully. The breath of sun user makes fluid motions that imitate flames towards the target. The breath of gold user launches themselves into the air, as if they were a dragon. The two swordsman link arms as soon as they get within reach, the gold user still in the air. By some miracle, the gold user keeps floating with their sword pointed forward, and as soon as the two swordsman's blades connect, the enemy is annihilated. Its all so blurry, I don't actually know how the demon is killed. All I know is that the target is just... vanished into a pile of dust" Asahi explained carefully.

Y/n nodded slowly, imagining how it would look. He really hoped that he would be able to do, or at least witness the move. He would be beyond ecstatic if he could. 

"Anyway" Asahi snapped him out of his thought. "I have yet another thing to tell you. After you go to final selection, I won't be here"

"What do you mean?" Y/n asked and frowned, piling more rice into his empty bowl.

"You're heading out in 3 days, and I have a mission at that time too. You're gonna have to find another place to stay" Asahi explained. Y/n nodded carefully. Find another place to stay... That shouldn't be too hard... right?

"And another thing" Asahi piped up once again, grabbing the younger boys attention. He stood up and looked through a small cabinet that was pushed to the back wall. He pulled out something wrapped in a cloth. He handed it to the young boy, who carefully unwrapped it. It was a crow mask, decorated with f/c and gold patterns. "Its a gift" Asahi explained and sat down. "Its a symbol of pride. Pride of being a user of breath of gold"

Y/n gawked at it. "Krasyva!" he complimented in Russian. He knew few words from his native language, and he used them often. 'Krasyva' or 'krasyvaya' means pretty.

The brunette chuckled at his childishness. "Im glad you like it" he smiled gently.