XII

A pale man with dark black, glossy hair and a katana was shaking as he looked around wearily, scared out of his mind that someone would attack him. Tanjiro noticed his fear, so to spare him the humiliation of screaming, he gently held his hand by the mans face. He yelped and whipped around, his dark black eyes relaxing once they met Tanjiro's dark maroon ones. 

"Y/n L/n and Tanjiro Kamado here to help. Rank Mizunoto" Y/n introduced himself and the other boy. He didn't bother introducing Inosuke. 

"M-mizunoto?" the stranger asked. "Mizunoto?!" he asked a little louder. "Not Hashira?! It doesn't matter how many Mizunoto come! It's useless! Theres no point!"

Just then, Inosuke thought it would be an amazing idea to slug the man in the face, catching everyone off guard. 

"Inosuke?!" Y/n scolded in shock, mostly trying to hold back laughter. 

"Shut up and explain the situation!" Inosuke barked. "If we're gonna talk about useless things, allow me to bring up your existence!"

"We... we got an order, so the 10 of us came up the mountain! Not long after that... the members... began killing each other!" the man explained. Suddenly, a few men and women risen from the ground, their faces imitating those of corpses. A couple of them raised their swords and started charging the small group. Y/n yelped and ducked as a woman swung her blade at him, but she didn't stop there. The e/c eyed boy started scuttling off into the forest, trying to lose her. 

"Y/n!" Tanjiro screamed as his blade clashed with another. "Don't go too far! Stick by me!"

"Are they idiots?!" Inosuke screamed. "We're not allowed to fight each other!"

"Their movements aren't their own! They're being controlled!" Tanjiro theorised. 

"Then I'll cut 'em up!" 

"No, don't do that! They're alive!" 

"Where's the other boy?" the stranger asked and looked around, lowering his sword. 

"Huh? Other boy?" Tanjiro asked and turned to him. "Do you mean Zenitsu?"

"Is that his name? The one with h/c hair and e/c eyes? Golden katana? Your friend, ne?" the stranger briefly described Y/n. 

"H/c...-" Tanjiro pondered before stopping. "Y/n's right-" he pointed in a direction to see him... very much not there. He stared at the bald spot where Y/n used to be blankly, quietly contemplating what happened. "hE'S GONE??" Tanjiro shrieked. 

"HAH?!" Inosuke screamed and head butted a tree for whatever 'Inosuke' type reasoning he had. "What do you mean?!"

"Gone! Vanished! I need to go find him! Just sit tight Inosuke, yeah?!" Tanjiro called after his comrade before running into the forest. "Oh! I nearly forgot!" He turned around temporarily. "The threads! Cut the threads!" he informed them before continuing his search. 

--

"Hah... I think... I finally..." Y/n grasped his chest and leaned over. He had been running for nearly 10 minutes straight at full speed to avoid the woman. "Fuck..." he panted for air desperately, taking in all the oxygen he could. 

"Stop breathing like that" a gentle and soothing voice spoke from the shadows. It had a twinge of mystery, but sounded light for the most part. "Panting like a dog. It's unattractive" despite it's naturally kind sounding nature, it was easy to spot the monotone and numbness behind it. Y/n gripped the hilt of his katana, ready to attack. 

"Who's there?!" He barked, looking around. 

"Up here" the voice spoke. Y/n obediently looked up to see a young boy who appeared to be floating. No, not floating. The moon reflected on something thin glistening under the boy. Maybe webs? Nevertheless, it's a demon. He was trained to kill demons, which is exactly what he was gonna do.