XX

"Gah!" Y/n screamed as he finally woke up. He sat up in his seat abruptly, panting heavily for air. He coughed a couple of times to see if there was still water in his lungs. Nothing came out. He pawed at his lower back and stomach. No open wounds either. He sighed with relief. He looked up to see Tanjiro shaking Zenitsu back and forth.

"Y/n! Good, you're awake!" Tanjiro grinned, but he was interrupted when he was attacked by a little girl with one of those rapiers. Y/n was going to question what was going on, but he didn't have time. He fished his katana from under his seat and jumped up.

"Don't get in the way!" the girl snapped. "We can't get sweet dreams because you guys showed up!" she turned to a young man who had tears streaming down his face. "What're you doing?! If you're awake, back us up! don't know about your tuberculosis or what, but if you don't do your job, I'll tell him and he wont let you dream?"

"Oh... the poor thing has tuberculosis..." Y/n whispered to himself sympathetically. No doubt Tanjiro was thinking the same. He frowned. Was he sympathizing? That's never happened before. That wasn't important right now.

"I'm sorry... I have to go fight" Tanjiro apologized and knocked the three out.

Y/n's eyes landed on a young boy, no older than 10 with honey-colored eyes. He was quietly sitting across from where he was sitting, a burned rope tethered to his wrist.

"You wanted to have happy dreams... didn't you?" Tanjiro asked quietly and laid the children down. "I know that feeling. I wanted to keep dreaming too..." he looked up at the young man. "Are you alright?"

"Thank you..." the man smiled softly. "Be careful..."

"Yes!" Tanjiro nodded. "Nezuko, Y/n!" he urged and ran down the aisles of the train. He reached the door, slamming it open and instantly grabbing his nose. Y/n put his palms over his ears as an aggressive demon sound assaulted him. The burgundy-haired boy pulled himself onto the roof, Y/n at his tail. "Nezuko, don't come up! Its dangerous! Go wake everybody up!" he ran to the head of the train with his teammate by his side.

"Oh, you're awake? Good morning" the demon at the head turned around to face the duo. "You should've just slept some more". Tanjiro's frown deepened. "I showed you both an especially nice dream there. I could've showed you a dream where your whole family is slaughtered..." the demons gaze shifted from the red head to Y/n. "...or one where your mother is abusing you more than usual?". The boy gripped his katana tighter, gritting his teeth. "Oops, have I said too much?" the demon giggled and looked back at Tanjiro. "Next time I'll show you a dream where your father comes back from the dead!"

"Don't trample your way into other people's dreams so carelessly!" Tanjiro ordered and unsheathed his katana. "I won't forgive you..." he growled. "Breath of water... 1oth form... the dragon of change" he started up his attack.

Y/n followed close behind. "Breath of gold... 4th form... silky gold" he whispered and started making his way to the demon.

"Blood demon art..." the demon raised his hand. "compelling hypnotic whisper" he smiled. The mouth on his hand started whispering chants, lulling the two to sleep.

Y/n's eyes snapped open to see himself in an abyss. Tanjiro suddenly appeared in front of him, his face distorted in distaste. "What are you still doing here?" he asked annoyedly. "Just get lost. I don't understand why you're tagging along. Do you think that sticking by me like a leech will make me like you? Well, it wont. Just bugger off and leave me alone" he spat out his insults. This was a dream. More a nightmare, but it wasn't real. The boy grabbed Tanjiro's katana out of his scabbard, bringing it up to his neck. "Yeah, just kill yourself. Do us all a favor" the fake Tanjiro snickered mockingly. Y/n stiffened and didn't move. He had to force himself to remember that this was all a dream. He brought the blade down on his neck, digging it into his flesh. "Gaah!" he screamed in pain. Blood splattered all over Tanjiro and stained his hands and clothes, but he somehow wasn't dead. "Gh!!" he exclaimed in agony as he continued to press the katana into his neck.