XVIII

"I've been instructed to forge blades for Inosuke. I will be very happy if they prove useful to him" Kanamori mused as Y/n and Tanjiro sat cross-legged in front of him and Inosuke sat on the porch, admiring his swords. "They're beautiful. They glow a dull indigo-grey tinge. A somber color. It's a great color for a blade"

"That's wonderful. Inosuke's blade had so many chips..." Tanjiro agreed, completely ignoring Haganezuka who was pulling his cheek.

Inosuke stood up and trotted over to an area with rocks.

"Eh? Inosuke?"

The boy didn't answer, peering at rocks, trying to find a good rock and throwing bad ones behind him. He crouched down and finally found one suitable enough, slamming it down into the blade of the katana. The group of 4 shrieked, some out of fear and some out of amusement.

"I'll rip you to shreds you damn brat!!" Kanamori growled, charging at Inosuke.

"We're sorry! We're sorry!" Tanjiro apologised frantically, holding him back.

"Speak for yourself!" Y/n laughed, nearly crying from laughter.

--

"I just had the most peculiar interactions" Tanjiro mused and sat down on his bed.

"What happened?" Y/n asked and turned to the foot of his bed to face the red head, rolling to his stomach in the process.

"Well, Kocho was checking my jaw to see if it's alright so I asked her about the breathing form I was using while fighting Rui, but she denied ever hearing of it. She just recommended we talk to the flame pillar. Then I walked outside and bumped into that rude guy from final selection" Tanjiro rambled.

Y/n bit at his lip. "Have you considered..." he trailed off, debating speaking up about sun breathing. On one hand it could solve the mystery, but on the other hand he could be wrong and the way they 'killed' Rui could've been a freak accident. His eyebrows furrowed at his inner dilemma.

"Are you okay? You look sick" Tanjiro asked. "Do you want to take a walk for fresh air?" he continued with a sweet smile.

"Yes please" Y/n nodded.

--

The duo made their way down the gravel paths, having a quiet conversation in the meantime. Tanjiro's red eyes fell on a specific young girl sitting on a porch.

"Oh, hello, Kanao!" Tanjiro waved. Y/n sent a small, cool nod in her direction. "We're gonna depart now. Thank you for everything" the red head lit up. Kanao just smiled in response. The two boys watched as she took out a coin, intrigued. She flipped it and watched it land. The result was tails.

"I just followed orders. No need to give me thanks! Goodbye now" Kanao stated plainly with a small smile.

"What did you just flip?" Tanjiro asked.

"Goodbye" Kanao brushed him off.

"What is that?" Y/n pipped up.

"Goodbye"

"Money?"

"There's something written on the heads and tails. Why did you flip it?" Tanjiro continued, sitting down. "It turned a lot"

Seeing as Kanao didn't really have a choice, she just answered. "I decide to flip this when I'm not being instructed. I decided whether I should talk or not. Heads meant I wont, tails meant I will. It was tails, so I talked" she explained simply. "Goodbye"

"Why cant you describe on your own?" Tanjiro pried. She didn't reply. "Kanao, what happened?"

"It doesn't matter. None of this matters, so I cant decide anything on my own" Kanao replied.