III

Y/n slowly made his way throughout the wisteria forest, brushing his fingers against the purple flowers. It calmed his nerves a little bit, but he was still weary. It was a little scary to take an exam where you either die, or you pass and you die later. He still kept a brave face on though. He stepped to the entrance and spotted about 20 kids there. Interesting. Quite a few caught his eye. There was a blonde kid who seemed scared out of his mind who kept muttering to himself. On the contrary, there was a girl with dark hair and a butterfly ornament in her hair who seemed completely content and relaxed, as if she wasn't being shipped off to her doom. A specific, dark haired boy with red tips and a birthmark on his forehead caught his eye. He seemed awfully familiar. Y/n was positive that he'd seen that combination of red and black hair and red eyes somewhere. He took a deep breath and approached the other boy. 

"I-Im sorry to disturb you-" Y/n said with a rocky start, stammering. The boy turned around to lock eyes with the slightly smaller boy, his kind gaze calming the h/c haired boy down. "- but I couldn't help but think that you look familiar"

"Hm..." the other boy tapped his chin, examining the nervous male. "Oh!" he snapped his fingers and a smile spread across his face. "You're Y/n! Im Tanjiro. We lived next to the same village, we often hung out there! Remember?"

The similarity finally clicked in Y/n's brain and he beamed. "Oh!" he nodded. "Gee, I haven't seen you in a while" 

"Tell me about it" Tanjiro chuckled lightly as he eyed the other boy. He remembered when those e/c eyes were filled with tears threatening to fall after he had gotten beaten up by bullies again. The red head often had to come to Y/n's aid and scare the bullies away. The h/c no longer looked so scared though. The defeated look in his eyes was gone. He was far stronger, granted still anxious and awkward, but he looked more determined to help people. Tanjiro also recalled Nezuko having a teensy crush on him. He didn't used to be able to see it before, but he could definitely see where his sister was coming from. Y/n had charismatic, e/c eyes that seemed oddly dull compared to how cheerful he came on. His h/c locks were as messy as they were before, but this time he had at least tried to look decent. His s/c skin made his eyes pop more than they already did. Y/n was very charming indeed. He had a chipper, but melancholy whiff to him. Like a smell of mysticism.

Tanjiro's train of thought broken when the two young girls started talking. After small introduction, they announced the beginning of final selection. 

"Hey" Y/n patted Tanjiro's shoulder, who turned around to look at him. "See you on the other side" the h/c mused and ran off into the forest. The boy in the blue wave haori looked at him in awe. Though, the comment concerned him a little. He wasn't sure whether the boy was talking about the end of final selection or death.

Y/n hopped from tree to tree, pausing on a high branch to think. Since demons only came out at night, he would need to defend himself then. The night wasn't safe and he couldn't afford to take his guard dow, so he'd have to go nocturnal for a while, which wasn't a problem considering he usually stayed up late anyway. It would probably be a good idea to get some food while it was still light out though. Y/n groaned in frustration as he scuttled down the trunk of the tree. He was lazy, and frankly, right now he just wanted to nap. He hurried over to a river to get it over with. He stabbed the sword into the water a couple times, but to no avail. Okay, maybe hunting fish wasn't brilliant. He gave it a couple more tries, and actually ended up catching about 3 fish. Should last him about 1 and a half days. 

Since fishing was a pathetic failure, he decided to explore the rest of the forest, either until dawn or until he found food. He sprinted through the thick forest, waiting to find a deer or a rabbit, anything that he could harvest for food. His train of thought was interrupted by a loud scream. He yelped and slammed his face into the ground, his focused running interrupted completely. Someone was in danger. He had to help them! Y/n scrambled to his feet and started booking it in the direction of the screaming.