IV

The two boys conversed for a little while, but they soon fell silent, as they pretty much ran out of stuff to talk about. They sat in a comfortable silence, quietly stewing in the sweet smell of wisteria and enjoying each others company. 

Subconsciously, Y/n started humming to himself, quietly and barely enough for Tanjiro to hear. His mind drifted and his humming slowly turned to quiet singing. He sang a lullaby to himself, one that Asahi would always sing to him if he was stressed or panicking. 

"Beautiful dreamer... wake unto me..." Tanjiro perked up at the sound of his friend singing and listened intently. The lullaby seemed familiar in an odd way, though he was positive that he'd heard it somewhere. "Starlight and dew drops are awaiting thee..." Y/n continued, eyes closed as he switched from major to minor between the verses. 

"What song is that?" Tanjiro piped up, startling the boy and ruining his tranquility. Y/n yelped at the sudden voiced and took a tumble to the ground.

"What song was what?" he asked and looked up from the ground that he slammed his face into.

"The song you were singing" Tanjiro explained. "What song was that?"

"Crap!" Y/n cursed under his breath, turning bright red. Despite his confident persona, he was actually a really shy person, and people hearing his ramble, let alone sing was extremely embarrassing to him. "It was um... It was a lullaby..." he mumbled quietly and sheepishly stood up, avoiding Tanjiro's gaze with a bright red dusted across his face. 

"Hm..." Tanjiro hummed the melody to himself, as if trying to remember what it was.

"Beautiful dreamer" Y/n elaborated on what it was called.

Tanjiro gasped in realisation as stars shone in his eyes. "I used to love that lullaby! I cant believe I forgot about it... And you sang it so beautifully too!" he mused

Y/n turned a darker shade of red and turned away. "Well, whatever..." he muttered, extremely embarrassed from singing and the praise. "We should probably go our separate ways now. I wouldn't want to bother you" he scurried off into the forest before Tanjiro could protest, leaving the boy on his own with a sad look on his face.

Y/n ran through the forest, once again trying to find nutrition, because just the fish and deer wouldn't last him forever. He eventually spotted what looked like a boar. Score! He unsheathed his katana and slowly approached it. "Over here, porky..." he mumbled and licked his lips, slowly and silently approaching the animal.

It suddenly spun its head around to stare at Y/n. Crap. There was an awkwardly long period of time where the animal and the e/c eyed boy stared at each other.

It suddenly leapt out of the shrub it was sitting in and revealed... a human body. Not a dead one. It was attached. To the fucking. Boar.

"What in the fresh goddamn fuCK?!" Y/n yelled and ducked as the thing swung its swords at him.

"Oi! Demon!" The man with the boar head demanded and turned to the boy. "Whats your name?!" he ordered.

"Demon..?" Y/n looked around and didn't see a single creature around... besides him, of course. "...are you talking to mE?" he shrieked. 

"Yes, of course!" the boar barked and pointed at him.

"I aint no demon! Im L/n Y/n!"

"Demon or not, I'll kick your ass!" he screamed and launched himself at the poor boy. He yelped and rolled out of the way.

"Hey! What the hell!" Y/n yelled and bared his sword in his hands. "We're both here for final selection! Just what the hell do you think you're doing?!"