XVII

"There are no more spring rolls, dammit! You ate them all!" a servant with black hair barked. 

"What the hell do you mean?!" a familiar brunette argued back. 

"I don't even know why Im helping you, I don't even like you!!"

"You don't like me, then kill me right now!"

The black haired servant looked as if he were going to actually kill him, but he got dragged away by another maid to do different chores, stormy grey eyes following the whole time. 

"Mordecai...?" Zenitsu asked as he peeked around the corner. The brunette grumpily whipped his head around, ready to rip anyone to shreds, but his glare softened when his gaze landed on his brother. "Mordecaaai!" the blonde celebrated and jumped on his brother, who fell to the ground. "Waah! Mordecai, it was horrible without you! I got bitten by an icky spider and then I nearly got turned to one!"

"Ew! Get off!" Mordecai snapped, though he failed to hide the fact that he was enjoying the hug. 

"Eh? Welcome back Mordecai! What're you doing here?" Tanjiro greeted warmly. 

"Lady Kocho found out that Zenitsu had a brother, so she found me and transferred me here since I was still healing. She truly is kind~!" Mordecai answered with a dreamy look on his face. 

"Wow, okay lover boy" Y/n rolled his eyes and stuck his tongue out in disgust. He shot a quick, subtle side glance at Tanjiro before turning to the scene in front again. 

Kanao walked past, quickly beaming at the group before continuing her way down the hallway. Tanjiro's eyes followed her. He looked deep in thought. 

"Um... excuse me" a small girl tugged on his clothes. He didn't react. 

"Tanjiro!" another one caught his attention. 

"Oh! You scared me" the red headed boy breathed. "What can I help you with?" he asked. 

"Um..." they shyly fiddled with their clothing. "Do you do total concentration breathing the whole day?"

"Hm?" Tanjiro hummed in confusion. 

"What? Is that even possible?" Y/n piped up, interested in the conversation. 

"Um, no, I dont believe we do..." Tanjiro answered, stroking his chin in thought. "Even while sleeping?"

"Yes. It makes a world of a difference to be able to"

"Using total concentration breathing even for a little bit is pretty hard... using it the entire day, is..." Tanjiro trailed off and looked at Y/n. 

"...nearly impossible" the boy finished and furrowed his eyebrows. 

"Some people are able to do it the whole day! Like all of the Hashira and Kanao. You two should try it!" the girls chimed. 

"Thats a great idea. We'll try it!" Tanjiro thanked. 

--

The duo tried over and over again for hours, but to no avail. They panted desperately for air, ears ringing and lungs aching. Tanjiro, out of fear of his brain leaking out of his ears, slammed his palms over them, scaring Y/n in the process. 

The red head groaned, his head in his hands. "Agh! I suck!" he complained and let out an annoyed exclamation, making the e/c eyed boy jump again. 

"I'm no better" Y/n sighed. "At least we suck together" he chuckled, earning himself a laugh from Tanjiro. 

The 3 butterfly girls handed them a small platter filled with rice balls and gourds. A few minuted of silence passed. 

"So you want us to blow into these gourds?" Tanjiro asked.