Past Events

3 years prior to the events of  ATLA

    "Y/N, your father has died. You must now fill his place in serving the fire nation. I will give you ten minutes to pack your things and then we will be off.", the fire nation officer told me as soon as I opened the door. I nodded at his words and allowed him to come inside. I prepared a cup of tea for him to drink as he waited for I to pack. After serving him his tea I went to pack my things.

      "My father is dead and now I must serve the nation as he did.", I said quietly to myself as I packed. I hadn't seen him in years. The last I had seen of him was when my mother died and he told me I'd have to take her position as the village's high priestess. My mom dying was the very reason i had to leave the fire academy. I had been living alone since then, now I would be living in the palace as I were now the fire lord's property.

      "I'm ready to leave now.", I informed the soldier. He nodded and the two of us headed back to the carriage outside. The entire ride was silent. There was no reason to speak. I had no idea what my new role would become and neither did the soldier. That was to be decided by Lord Ozai. He was the one who oversaw all things military.

       After what seemed to be an eternity in silence, I saw the palace. My new life was to begin now.

      "Leave your bags, they will be placed in your new housing. Just follow me.", the soldier told me he helped me down from the carriage.

      "May I refresh my makeup first before meeting with any officials?", I asked. To be a high priestess with untidy makeup was not a good look especially when meeting the fire lord.

       "You have five minutes to do so.", he answered sternly. I merely nodded and began to touch it up. I repainted my lips crimson red. Paled the rest of my face. Created sharp creases in my cheeks with blush to match my lips. My makeup was similar to that of a Kyoshi warrior except there were hints of blue to represent lightning. It looked both cold and warm but it was my eyes that decided that cold was the more appropriate approach.

      "Alright, I am ready now.", I informed him. He gave a small grunt and began to lead me to the court of Lord Ozai. What would my new task be? It surely would not be made into a sage. The fire temple had enough sages plus it's not as if it truly has honored Avatar Roku anymore. I would probably be kept in the palace as an astronomer to allow the fire nation to prepare attacks better.  More than likely it would simply be doing rituals that would put the fire nation in the universe's favor.

      Being so lost in thought of my future I had not even noticed that you were already at the doors in which Lord Ozai was behind. My escort spoke no words but simply opened the doors for me to enter. I bowed at Lord Ozai. I did not have to speak as Lord Ozai began.

      "Y/N the death of your father has brought you here. He was a great general. Now you must take his place. I will not send you to war but you will prove yourself useful in serving the fire nation with your high priestess role. You will stay at the palace and tell the army generals what the universe had told you in order to aide our side."

      I merely nodded at his words and were then allowed to leave. The walk through the palace halls felt lonely. I was now alone. It was just me in the family. Despite having brothers, they were sixteen when I was born, old enough to fight. I had heard no news of them. The family I had was now gone. Despite being allowed to live in the palace I did not feel joyous about it. In my heart I knew the war was more harmful than anything given the nature of it all. Being a high priestess I was able to travel to the spirit world and see how the world had become utter chaos. There was no longer was balance.

      My absent minded walk led you outside. It was outside i saw the turtle ducks in the pond. Instantly I was able to feel a sense of calm. The turtle ducks were happy and it made me happy. I sat at the edge of the pond and allowed for them to swim and swim towards me. Lost in their beauty the voice behind me startled me.

      "Are you the high priestess?", the voice asked. I turned around to face the voice and saw it belonged to prince Zuko.

      "Yes I am. Greetings Prince Zuko.", I bowed showing your respects.

      "Is it true you're going to help us win this war?"

      "I am going to help the nation to the best of my abilities. My sole purpose is to serve the fire nation.", I answered somewhat honestly.

      Zuko merely nodded at me before walking away. It seemed to him that I was just another military member filling in for their mandatory role. Both of us so young, not even teens yet knowing our place and duty to a war not even started by our fathers.

A high priestess in such times felt unnecessary. There was no avatar and no hope of there being balance. All I was doing was sending troops of the fire nation to places where spiritual energy was the weakest. It felt like betrayal. Maybe I could perform under my abilities and spare lives.

      Maybe I could help end the war.

A/N

I hope it's interesting enough so far, I've decided to add songs I felt fit the chapter. I'm sorry if the songs aren't too enjoyable. Let me know what you think!