the first meeting

Ten years ago.

Your forehead beaded with sweat. Your body’s hurt after all that kicking and punches. You then found a chance and pushed your body to the person before you. As the person stumbled and you locked his neck from behind.

“Alright, I give up!” Namjoon smacked your hand repetitively.

You snorted as you released him. “You know that if you couldn’t beat me at least once, you won’t be promoted, right?” You stood up, fixing your clothes. “Why do you even join the promotion test for field agent?”

Namjoon just laid down on the floor, controlling his breaths. “You really shouldn’t rub salt into my wound, you know.” He sat up and gestured his bag to you.

You walked to the side, picking your water bottle and drank it in one gulp. You then walked to Namjoon’s bag. After rummaging his bag, you picked his water bottle and threw it to him.

He caught that with his right hand nicely and drank like he’s in the desert. “Thanks.”

“I think you should focus more on the other field. I heard Seokjin’s department also setting the promotion test.” You walked closer to him and sat beside him.

“Yes, I heard too.” He sighed, “But, I don’t really want to be handler like Jin-hyung.”

“Why? I think it’s nice.” You shrugged.”And besides, you can be my handler.”

He laughed loudly, “What? Your handler? Are you fucking kidding me? You are such a pain in the ass. I feel sorry for whoever ended as your handler.”

You then hit his back hard. “Hey! If you ended in field-work, I also feel sorry for whoever ended as your handler. You clumsy dickhead!” You stood up. You gathered your things and tossed them into your bag. You hung your bag on your shoulder, as you walk to the door. “Just really think about it, okay? And also stop bothering me to spar with you. I need to study too.” He just waved as a reply.

It has been 6 months since you joined The Company as a recruit. You still couldn’t believe that after your first loss in karate championship that year, you’ll be recruited. The thought of working by fighting never occurred to you. Well, maybe as a coach. But as an agent? Never for a bit. Maybe you’re that naive. When the Company told you what the work would be, you’re almost sure that your eyes were twinkling in excitement. You always love the adrenaline rush. Whenever you go to an amusement park, the only thing you ride is a roller coaster. You live for adrenaline. So, yes. You agreed to join in a heartbeat. Your parents? Well the only thing they knew was that you worked as a stuntwoman. So every time there’s an action movie, you just told them that you’re starred in there.

It’s not easy working as an agent. You did ace the fighting training considering your background. Even you’re good at firearm training. The one thing you sucked at was coding and hacking, basically anything with numbers. That’s when you meet Kim Namjoon for the first time. The Kim Namjoon who can solve any of the codes in just a second. He’s recruited when his college professor recommended him. He’s the top of his class and even in this country. Genius, that’s what people say about him.

You still wondered, why such a person like Namjoon ended in a place like this. He literally could work in every place in the whole world and yet he chose this. With every knowledge he had and used with his brain, yet he chose to fight. Sure, he’s good at firearm training, and for fighting? Well, He was not that bad considering he only trained for six months, but he was not good enough to work as a field agent. Oh, and not to forget how he almost blew the bomb-defusing-training, only because he clumsily cut the wrong wire. Thank God there’s Hoseok beside him who then defused it in no time.

He’s also the one who knew what’s he lack at. Thus, he contacted you to teach him to fight and as a thank you, he taught you coding and hacking. That’s why you become close to him in such a short time. You spent most of your time with him after work, to spar, go to the gym, or even just chatting. However, because you knew about how good he was (well, you are the one who taught him), you thought that Namjoon was not suitable for a field agent at that time. You always told him, trying to talk some sense to him. But every time, you brought that topic, he didn’t care for your advice for a bit. The promotion test was on the day after tomorrow, and you really hoped Namjoon will change his mind.

It’s the first time Namjoon didn’t listen to you. He applied for a field agent and barely passed the fighting exam. Furthermore, aside from being bad at fighting, he’s unlucky too. He paired with Minho, who was the only one who could fight the teacher and won. You couldn’t get mad at him. You could only hope that he won’t die or even hurt specifically. He didn’t win obviously, but he passed the exam with the addition of long and deep wound on his left cheek which would be scarred his face.

Miraculously passed the field agent exam made Namjoon become one of the favorite agents to work with. Who doesn’t want to work with a genius agent? He got more missions with more thinking which usually political, while you, who passed the fighting exam in an excellent grade worked in your usual environment, more fighting. Yes, of course after many missions and lots of training, Namjoon’s improving too, made him stronger, smarter, and a more high-demand agent than you. He soared to the top too soon, you barely caught him. He went up in an elevator, comfortable and fast, yet you earned your way up through the stairs, tiring and sweaty. You barely even talked to him, to busy with your own missions. And you could feel deep in your heart that you missed him.