Chapter 9 Promise

Adiya's POV

I had a year to finish my Gurukul after Sahil had left. (He was my one year senior)

But without him, everything felt empty and lonely. Until a day when I decided that I wanted to make full use of my remaining time there.

I went to Guruji and requested him to help me focus on the advanced techniques of war. To make the things interesting, he also promised me that guruma would teach me everything about herbs (especially the ones that I used to collect from the forest during my free time).

So during the last year, I assumed the leadership to train my juniors. It also helped me better my own craft since I was required to teach them everything. I also enjoyed the time with weapons. I wanted to learn more and more about arms and ammunitions.

Everyday started with me waking up at the dawn time (Brahma Muhurat) and end with me being too tired to even lie down on the mattress to sleep. (We didn't have beds in Gurukul. We used mattresses) . I had two aims. First to be better and more disciplined. And second (which I didn't want to admit) to forget Sahil.

I also realised one thing about myself which Sahil, probably had realised even before I did. I had a temper. I wasn't calm and collected like he was. Na, my anger would flare up whenever my plan wouldn't work or things wouldn't go my way or people talked nonsense.

Finally the last day of leaving the Gurukul arrived. I went to my Guruji and Guru ma to get their blessings. I asked to my Guruji "I want to give you gurudakshina (gift to be given to Gurus) so what can I give you?" .

"I don't want anything from you daughter. It's pleases my heart to see how far you have came. From being a shy and confused  student to a powerful confident lady, you have transformed a lot! Besides I never had any daughter. You gave me a joy of being a father figure." He said.

"But I want to give you something!" I insisted.

"Promise me something."

"What promise ?" I asked.

"Promise me that you would never ever play with the life of any of your citizens once you become the ruler! Promise me that your ego would not allow you to wage useless wars and bloodshed! Promise me that you would always protect the innocent and nurture your kingdom!" He said.

I promised him and touched his feet. I also bid tearful adieu to Guruma and all my classmates and my juniors.

With the teary eyes, I went into the middle of the forest. Like I was told by Guruji earlier, the chariot was waiting for me. I still didn't want my classmates and juniors to know my identity so I lied that I would travel by foot.

There stood my parents, waiting for me! They hugged me after I touched their  feet.

"We missed you so much Adiya!" Cried my mother the Queen Adina.

"Me too!!" I cried back.

"Let's go home!" They said and the charioteer  started the journey.

I cried seeing the forest and everything getting far from my view. I even saw that waterfall passing by in our way and almost cried in my heart.

After sometime, I told my parents everything about my life in Gurukul. Everything that I had learnt. Everything that I will miss. However for some reason I didnt feel like telling them anything about Sahil.

He was the past. I have my kingdom to rule and nurture! I have to fulfil my destiny to rule the two biggest kingdoms.