Chapter 39: Face Off

Princess Adiya's  (Diya's)POV

I took a deep breath. Meditation was something that I had learnt during my Gurukul and I practiced it whenever I was whirlwind of emotions. To be frank, I have a very coherent mind. However when the matters involves something close to my heart, emotions come in between. Unlike Sahil who finds its natural to keep his emotions in check while decision making.

I battled with myself for hours. Couldn't bat an eyelid for the whole night. Could it be a coincidence that Sahil's name and his handwriting matched with that of King Dhruv? I cannot simply doubt him. I must give him a benefit of doubt.

I decided to clear the whole situation.
I penned down a letter and decided to wait for the reply least before the sunset.

Dear Sahil,

How are you? I was proposing if we can meet? I miss you.

Your Love
Diya.

Then I tore and paper and threw it away. I didn't want to meet him because I missed him. I was doubting him. I was suspicious of him. I felt guilty and terrible. But again, it was required. I had to know the truth.

I took a deep breath again. I won't lie in my letter that I missed him. However I choose not to disclose the truth.

Dear Sahil,

I just wanted to meet you. Can we meet at our usual spot? Tomorrow  is the full moon night.

Your love,
Diya.

As if on a cue, Piku knew what he had to do. Once he flew away, I decided to divert my mind into the Kingdom's affairs. I decided to go to the court.

"Princess Adiya, His Highness and all of us want to know about your next strategy towards the ongoing war with Surya Kingdom." Said the Minister once I assumed my seat.

"Father I am working on it. Trust me, we are not going to lose." I assured my father but within my heart, I knew I was going through a dangerous turmoil.

"I trust you will Princess. We all hold high hopes from you." Said the King Aditya.

My parents are not my parents when they are on duty. Ie when they are handling the Court proceedings. Because they think that they are public servants and they are accountable to the people. Which meant that I would be treated based on my individual merits rather than my title. In order to survive in the court, I needed to perform.

My mother later joined the Court. For some unknown reason she was late for the proceedings Which was a very rare event because she was the most punctual person in the Court.

"My apologies. Due to some work am late."She apologised as she took her thrown besides my father.

And then the whole proceedings went the way it should be. I chose not to talk about it. For some unknown reason, I wanted to keep my plans to myself. I wondered if any member of the Court or the general public (anyone in the Kingdom had the permission to attend the day to day proceedings of the court)  could be a spy for King Dhruv.

Once I returned to my chambers, I received a letter from Anandji.

"Your Majesty,

I tried to enter the borders of Surya Kingdom but the King has forbidden my entrance in the Kingdom! I doubt if they have come to know about our intentions. My apologies but now I can't access the Surya Kingdom as the King doesn't trust me anymore.

Always faithful to you,
Anandji."

And I felt a bubble of panic. Has Dhruv discovered my identity?
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
King Dhruv 's (Sahil's) POV

"Your Majesty, we have placed a ban on entry of Anandji in our Kingdom!" Declared the soldier and I appreciated his efforts.

I didn't want any spies or traitors or whatever he was, in my kingdom. My mind was busy waging a battle against my heart. Can my Diya be actually Princess Adiya?

Vansh knew my inner turmoil so he postponed the discussion about the taxation and adjourned the Court in a short span of time. We went to my chambers.

"Brother please ask Diya directly if she is the Princess Adiya. Why to play hide and seek? You both are grown ups and mature now." Vansh was tired of our going circles.

Suddenly I saw Piku flying majestically in the Sky, landing on my window with a letter. It was my Diya's letter.

"Good. Say yes to her and go and meet her. Clear up the whole thing before it gets magnified."  Said Vansh.

I replied affirmative and decided to meet her. And clear the air. But I felt terrible. It felt like I was doubting her. Doubting her of performing a horrendous crime whereas I don't even know if she was the Princess Adiya or not. Besides, even if she was the Princess Adiya, she was right in her own place. She has full fledged right to think about the welfare of her kingdom. Defeating Surya Kingdom would mean welfare to her own kingdom. What I still wondered was the fact as to why she wanted to fight it in a non violent way? She was brave and in the better position.

At the evening , I took my horse and went in the direction of our meeting place. For some reason, I had a gut feeling that tonight would bring a change in our relationship forever.

Towards the entrance of the forest, I found Guruji strolling with his group of students. And a wave of nostalgia hit me. I could see myself in the place of students. An involuntary smile flashed on my face and I stopped my horse towards Guruji.

I touched his feet and asked him about his health and the ashram. We started talking. The sun had not completely set yet so I knew that I was well ahead of time!

Suddenly I saw a "Patra" (a container used to store food) in his hands. It brought a smile to my face. It was an earthen "Patra" Which I had made for him as a "gurudakhshina" (gift) before leaving the ashram.

The "gurudakshinas" are very special to me as a teacher. Because it's not expensive but students make something very thoughtful for me! That feeling of receiving it is priceless! I use your Patra daily and miss you. You have always been my favourite student." Said Guruji.

"I always thought Diya was your favourite student!"  I accused him to which he laughed.

"Well I don't have favourites to be frank. I try to be as non biased as possible. But just like you, Diya too was special. She had always been like my daughter since I never had a child." He smiled remembering her.

"What did she gift you as gurudakshina?" I was curious.

However he was quiet. As if wondering whether to speak or not. Usually I never allow anyone to fall under such uncomfortable position and change the topic  but since it was related to Diya, I wanted to know. Maybe I could find the truth of her identity.

"Let's just say that she promised me that she would try her best to stay non violent in her life." He concluded  it and changed the topic.

However I got the answer I wanted. Was it the reason why the Princess Adiya wanted to play it safe rather than have a traditional war? Did it mean that Adiya and Diya were the same person?