Chapter 17: The Calm way

Adiya's (Diya's) POV

I smiled as I read Sahil's letter. I wished if I too could be as cool and as calm as him. Yet so firm. So decisive. I was now sure. He would make a fabulous King!

I went to the Court and the routine proceedings took place. My parents hasn't returned but I wasn't complaining. The job of Ruling was challenging yet so fulfilling.

The gurukul for girls was made and would commence from the following day. I, along with the Council reviewed the tax policies, the total harvest yield of the season, the sea trade figures and everything was going on smoothly until...

"Why are you all whispering amongst yourselves?" I asked the Council.

I looked towards Minister Surabhji but he too gave me a look stating that he didn't know anything about it.

"Your Majesty, we have decided to take the matters into our hands and convince you to get married. We agree that you are a great ruler but we think that it would be better if we get a pair of CO rulers on the day of your coronation." Said Sambhavji, the apparent leader of the Council.

I felt like throwing him inside the prison. Can't he understand that I had no interest in getting married? Atleast not before the date of coronation?

However I remembered the letter of Sahil. I had to be quiet yet firm. I took a few deep breaths while the court geared up to listen to my explanation.

"Sambhavji?" I called him out in the most normal tone ever.

"Yes Your Majesty?" He too wondered what I wanted to ask him.

"My parents tell me that your father was a great soldier in our army and he martyred his life for our motherland. I am really privileged that his son is today sitting in the court amongst us." I complimented him.

He was moved by my sudden appreciation as he expected some resistance from my side.

"Your Majesty, the credit goes to my mother for single handedly raising me and helping me to reach to this level." He thanked his mother like a proud kid.

I smiled. Thats what I wanted to hear. Even if he wouldn't have mentioned his mother, I would have brought the topic  of his mother. Now it would be easy to convince him.

"So do you agree that she played the role of your father and mother very efficiently? No one could have raised you better than she did right?" I asked him.

"Ofcourse Your Majesty, She is the reason why I am alive today." He explained.

"That's what I have been trying to tell you all. I want to be the mother as well as the father of this entire kingdom. I don't want to rush and get married just because it's a tradition to co rule! I am capable of single handedly ruling the entire Kingdom!" I Said as calmly as possible.

A women has power to single handedly raise her child. So even I can rule the Kingdom myself.

"Your Majesty, I agree to whatever you say. But.... but does it mean you would never ever get married?" Asked Sambhavji.

"Na when did I say I won't marry at all? I too would get married but only and only after I am sure about the character and capability of a person to rule this Kingdom! Marrying in hurry would increase the probability of marrying a wrong person thereby our Kingdom would suffer." I assured the confused Court.

"Besides I have support of you all. You all are there to guide me and support my solo rule until I get married, right?" I tried to butter them. A little.

They all seemed to be pleased with my answer. Which meant that the topic of my marriage won't be discussed for sometime. That was a temporary relief.

I thanked Sahil with all my heart.

"Talking about your mother, Sambhavji I have got an idea! Why don't we pass a law that would allow a widow to remarry? We don't want other women of our kingdom suffer like your mother did right?" I asked excitedly.

"How can you even think about it Your Majesty!?" Shouted another Council member Anandji. He was advocate of traditional mindset. And unconventional topics like that would shook him up!

"How dare you to talk to me in that tone Anandji!" I Shouted back. All the calmness and deep breaths were replaced by my strict tone and ferocious big eyes!

I saw Anandji shook with fear. As if he had said something wrong. Calmness was good. But having an upper hand and arrogance suited me.

There was a tradition in my kingdom that I thoroughly despised. The women, who lost their husbands had to live in a strict environment. They were not allowed to remarry. They had to wear simple white clothes for their entire life. There was no scope of visiting any ceremonies or celebrating any festivals. Their lives revolved only around taking care of their family members and children.

My mother had been trying to put some sense into the minds of the Counsel but apparently she couldn't get any approval. Probably because it would hurt the religious sentiments of some people.

"I want a law whereby all the widows would be allowed an option to remarry any man they like! And they all are fully allowed to live and dress the way they want! Restricting their movements would be a crime! It's an order!" I Shouted.

I looked at Anandji. "Next time if you dare to raise your voice in front of me, I would make sure that you would be banished from this kingdom."

I looked at everyone in the Court.

"Everyone of you, you all are allowed to raise any issues in front of me! Important or minor issues, everything would be discussed under this roof! But I command respect! Disrespect won't be tolerated. Get used to that!"

War or no war, I wanted my Kingdom to be filled with people having progressive thoughts! I wanted my own council. Those were my parents' puppets! They were outdated. I wanted my own team!