The Aspirin Assassin

"The Aspirin Assassin." Bea said and gave the file to Jema. "Let's go over the facts" She asked her team.

They were seated on the conference room while Bea was on front and showing the slides and pictures taken from the crime.

"The republic of the Philippines versus Kim Kianna Dy was a case of attempted murder. The defendant Ms. Dy, worked as the second assistant to the victim, Marck Espejo. The CEO of an advertising agency." Alyssa said.

"But she isn't only his assistant." Ced added. "She was also his mistress."

"Oooh." Bea commented.

"What happened after Mr. Espejo's wife found out about the affair?" Jema asked.

"He ended the relationship with Ms. Dy and he transferred her to the accounting department. She was upset and she allegedly switched his prescription pills, high blood pressure to paracetamol, which she knew he was allergic to." Jia answered.

"What happened when he ingested the pills?" Bea asked.

"His allergy reacted. His throat went swollen and he can't breath. So basically the brain was deprived of oxygen for minutes before his first assistant, Myla Pablo tried to revive him." Jho answered.

Bea pursed her lips to contain her giddy smile on her girlfriends' answer. Jema looked at her in a high brow, and Bea cleared her throat.

"So what does Ms. Dy's mens rea? " Jema asked.

"Mens Rea?"  Ced asked.

The others were clamoring on their pads looking for answer on their notes. Jema rolled her eyes and sighed in disappointment. She looked at Bea, and the latter is side smiling nervously.

After seconds of scanning the papers, and nobody answered, Bea spoke for the team. "To kill."

"Mens rea also refers to as "intent", was to kill Mr. Espejo." Bea added. She cleared her throat. "Questions?"

"Uhm, there was no verdict here? So.. did she do it?" Alyssa asked.

"Why don't we asked her ourselves?" Bea said.

**

"This is my team, Valdez, Domingo, Morado, and Maraguinot. And of course, you must've heard." Bea nodded towards Jema.

"Yes. Ms. Galanza, nice to finally meet you. When I heard you will be included in Ms. de Leon's team, I was excited."

"Let's not." Jema said. "Please take a seat. We just need to ask you some questions before we go to court tomorrow."

Ms. Dy nodded.

"Can you tell us the events leading to crime, again, for the sake of Ms. Galanza and the team." Bea said.

"Uhm.. One day, I walked into his office when I just screamed, real loud, cause Marck was standing there behind the door. Ginulat nya ako." She chuckled. "I thought he was gonna be pissed at me, yell, but he started laughing, so tumawa na den ako. Tapos lumapit sya saakin, and then he kissed me, for the first time and.. yep, I became that girl."

"She doesn't look like that kind of girl." Bea whispered to Jema and winked.

"Thought you have a girlfriend?" Jema said and Bea pursed her lips.

"One day, when I came back from lunch, nakita ko may ambulansya sa harap. Nung narinig ko na para sakanya iyon..." She started to release soft sobs. "I loved him. I know mahirap paniwalaan pero.. totoo yun. So baket... baket ko naman sya sasaktan, diba. And now they are pinning it to me. It's unfair!!"