Abrakadabra

"Ms. Pablo, do you wear reading glasses?"

"No."

"Prescription glasses?"

"Judge, relevance?" The opposing lawyer asked.

"We'll get there, your Honor." Jema said.

"Yes." Myla answered the question.

Jema nodded. "Ms. Pablo, you testified that you saw the pills at Ms. Dy's table, on the day of the accident, correct?"

"Oo."

"And you said it was a yellow pill?"

"Oo."

"Yellow pill, similar to that guy's shirt?" Jema nodded to Mr. and Mrs. Espejo's lawyer, who is wearing a navy blue polo.

"Y-Yes." Pablo hesitant to answer.

They heard gasps and murmur on the jury and the audience.

"Ms. Pablo, that guy's shirt is blue." Jema looked back at her. "Are you color blind?"

"I know what I saw that morning..."

"Please answer the question, Ms. Pablo." The judge ordered her.

"Yes. I'm color blind."

"I see, so let's say you mistook the pill that you saw on Ms. Dy's desk, which was blue, like the paracetamol medication that she's been taking, because she had a hard time working under you. Always complaining of an headache. Or, yellow, like the medicine used to poison Mr. Espejo. You can't say the difference, no?"

"I told you she was acting all nervous that morning, and.." Ms. Pablo tries to convince everyone on that room.

"It's a simple question, Ms. Pablo. Is it possible that the pill that you saw on Ms. Dy's desk was her medication for her headache?"

"I-I... I guess so."

Jema smiled at her. "Thank you for you candor."

"Abrakadabra." Bea said to the 4 others.

--

"How did you came up with those?" Jho asked Bea.

"Well, nag fe-facebook kasi ako tapos..."

"You were facebook-ing during a trial?!" Jema asked.

"What?! I can't rest my mind?"

Jema rolled her eyes. "Unbelievable."

"Anyways, most of her pictures online, she were wearing glasses. So, it got me thinking, why isn't she wearing one now." Bea explained.

"Paano napunta sa color blindness yun?" Jia asked.

"She isn't squinting when she looks at me or any other person in the room. She wasn't wearing contacts either, hence, color blindness." Jema explained. "Step one, discredit the witness."

They looked at Bea with a smile of amusement. "Magic."

**

"And on the other news, yesterday was the first parole hearing of Denna Wong, the person who killed Matthew Madayag, brother of congresswoman Maddie Madayag. She had been denied on parole and will get another chance next year." The TV reported said on the CNN Philippines news.

"Goddamn." Jema said as she watched the news.

--

The following morning at the court, as soon as Jema stepped in, she was called by Alyssa "Ms. Galanza.."

"Jema is fine." She gave her a paper that contains text messages from the next person to take the witness stand, Mr. Espejo's business partner.

Jema smiled at her. "Good job."