Just apologize

"Little robbery? Really? Deanna, she funneled 30 million from her dad's company. What were you thinking?!" Jema slammed the folders on the table the moment she stepped inside Deanna's apartment.

They have set up a little office inside so they can do work properly.

"Wha... I didn't knew. She said little amount." She scanned the document.

"And you believed her? A prisoner?"

Something in her head made Deanna burst. "A prisoner? Why did you believe me then?!"

"Whoa whoa whoa, guys. Enough." Bea said.

"No, really Jema?" Deanna ignored Bea. "If a prisoner shouldn't be trusted, why trust me, huh? You-you know I have never felt alive for the past five years. And for that past five years, I never wanted to go out, until now. CAUSE I WANTED TO HELP!" Deanna shouted.

Jema was stuck looking at her and Bea looked down on her feet.

"I wanted to help. Cause you trusted me." Deanna cracked her voice. "A convicted murderer."

She stood up and walked angrily towards the bathroom to be alone, to somehow, think.

After 20 minutes she went out again with red eyes, she sniffled as she stood her ground. Jema and Bea were sitting on the table, face to face while the earlier was browsing on the folder.

"Uhm.." Deanna said.

Jema closed the folder. "We try to put them in a room. See if she could say sorry to him and him forgiving her." She said and stormed out of the apartment.

While Bea was stuck sitting there looking at Deanna.

"I'm sorry." Deanna said.

"Not to me Deanns." Bea answered.

"I.."

"She trusted you not because she knew you were innocent, but because you are Deanna Wong." Bea said as Deanna sat in front of her. "She knew you wouldn't do anything like that. She know you so much."

Deanna was mum. She knew she was wrong, her short temper got in the way.

"She haven't heard the full story, yet she already trusts that you didn't do it."

Deanna frowned. "She haven't?"

Bea shook her head no. "So, if you got a chance, maybe tell her how it happened." She stood up and tapped Deanna's shoulder before leaving.

Bea closed the door behind her. "Thought you already left me." She said to Jema who was leaning on the wall right side of the door. "How much did you heard?"

"Set the appointment for Ms. Rosier and her dad." She walked away.

--

"Just apologize." Ced said to Rosie Rosier, a geochemical scientist, working at LaSalle laboratories for 3 years and Deanna's cellmate.

Ced and Alyssa has been assigned to this case as the other two, Jia and Jho were on another.

"I don't want to. They poisoned the pond and all the livings there. I was raised by my grandmother back at the province. I am one of those children that swims on the ponds. We catch fish and ate them. That's why I wanted to save that. It's my childhood memory."

"So your initial reaction was to funnel his money?"

"I wasn't going to use it to my own. I was going to give it to charities."

"Oh, now you are the good one." Ced said sarcastically.

"Look, I am not apologizing until he removes the machines on the pond. He knew that the funneling is still on going, so unless he stops it, I won't move a muscle."

Ced and Alyssa looked at each other.

**

"When did you last talked to your daughter?" Ced asked.

"Oh, that little brat? I won't cause she deserves to be in the prison." Mr. Rosier said before coughing.

"You didn't answer my question."

"A year from now." He said and coughed before scratching his chest.

Alyssa got curious on his movements and frowned at him.

"Okay." Ced continues the questioning. "Has it ever crossed your mind to talk to her?"

"Look. *cough* There is no harm on the chemicals that we pour on the pond. It actually helps to clean the water. She's just *scratch on his chest* too stubborn. *cough and scratch*"

"Mr. Rosier..." Ced was ready to convince him to talk.

"Thank you for your time." Alyssa said and stood up. "I guess we'll just see you in court."

Ced looked at her in curiosity.

They walked out the door.

"What is happening Ly? We should be convincing him to talk to his daughter and not continue the case."

"He's guilty." Alyssa said as she rushed towards her car.

"He's guilty? He wasn't the one with the case."

She got her phone and called Denise.

"Hey, babe? No, everything's fine. I need your help. Yeah, you remember the viral video that you showed me? Can you meet me at the office?" She ended the call.

"What is happening, Ly?" Ced asked as Alyssa started the engine and drove.

**

"BioRosier has this video that surfaced two days ago. The video shows you, Mr. Rosier, swimming at the pond that our client was talking about. Your were claiming that it is safe to swim there. The video was taken down yesterday. It went viral, so why take it down?" Alyssa said as Mr. Rosier was on the witness stand.

"Mr. Rosier, one week ago, we had a conversation and I noticed that you were coughing."

"Yes, I caught cough and cold when I forgot my umbrella one time."

"Okay. That is considerable, it's August. Rainy season."

"Yes."

"I also see that you are a muscular man."

"Relevance?" The opposing attorney asked.

"It will be your honor."

"Sustained."

"You go to gym Mr. Rosier?"

"Yes. Twice a day."

"So you are proud of your body?"

"Yes."

"Could you take of your shirt?" Alyssa asked.

"Objection your Honor. What is this?"

"What is this Ms. Valdez?" The judge asked.

"I just wanted to show to the jury the side effects of him swimming in the contaminated pond."

Mr. Rosier gritted his teeth.

"If you please Mr. Rosier." The judge asked.

He swallowed a huge lump of saliva before looking at his lawyer. He stood up and removed his necktie. Unbuttoned his shirt and showed a chest full of rashes.

There were series of gasps and murmurs on the audience and the jury.

"Besides coughing because of the odor, this is the side effect of swimming in that pond. Imagine a child enjoying the warm water of that, and will get this itchy rash the following morning. The defense rests."

As Rosie was acquitted and the funneled money will be used to clean the pond, Bea approached the victorious lawyers that are all smiles at the press that just finished interviewing them.

"Congratulations. 10th win for Alyssa, 7th for Ced." She said.

"Thanks." Alyssa and Ced said.

"How's the other two doing?" Ced asked.

She asked about Jia and Jho who are on going on their case on the other side of the room.

"Let's see for ourselves." She said and they walked.