Chapter VII: No Escape

"It's all well and good to look back after the fact and see what we should have done, but we rarely know what path is best when we take the first step." (Christine Feehan, Oceans of Fire)

Kuroo couldn't stop smiling as he gazed at Y/N's sleeping face. He had awoke to their bodies entangled with each other, Y/N's face pressed close to his chest. He was mesmerized by the way Y/N's sleeping figure seemed so peaceful. Even though he hasn't known Y/N for long, Kuroo has realized that she's the type of person to always be guarded--always someone who is ready to go on the defensive or strike on the offensive. Seeing her so peaceful right now and seeing her so open and defenseless last night made him wonder how many more sides Y/N had to her--how many more new expressions he could see. 

Gently kissing her on the forehead, Kuroo slowly untangled his body from her's, not wanting to disturb her sleep. He quietly made his way over to the kitchen and began rummaging through the cabinets and the fridge to see what he could make for breakfast.  As he looked through the kitchen, he noticed how bland and empty it was. He glanced towards the living room and noticed the same thing. Only the essentials were here--no pictures of family or friends, no decorations, no personal touches. Kuroo had noticed the same trend in Y/N's bedroom too.

It's as if she's ready to leave at a moment's notice and disappear... As the thought crossed Kuroo's mind, he realized how much of Y/N was a mystery to him. Even after their intimate encounter the night before, Y/N's past, motives, dreams, identity--everything about Y/N was still a mystery to him, a mystery he was dying to solve. 

Deep in thought, Kuroo was startled into awareness as he heard a scream of terror coming from Y/N's room.

"NOOO....why--don't.."

Kuroo raced into Y/N's room and was met with the sight of her thrashing around in bed, muttering something to herself. Her body was covered with sweat and her breathing was labored. Not knowing what to do, Kuroo ran over to Y/N and placed his hands on her shoulders, trying to calm her down. 

Before Kuroo had time to react, Y/N quickly flipped him over and slammed his head onto the bed. Her hands quickly found their way to his throat, her eyes wild and hazy as they stared at his.

"Tsk--stop, its--me"

Y/N's consciousness quickly snapped back into focus at the sound of Kuroo's voice. Kuroo's cat-like eyes stared back at her as he slowly placed his hands over her's. Y/N's breathing began to slow and her grip on Kuroo's throat lightened. Their eyes were both locked on each other's as silence filled the room, the only audible sounds were Kuroo's slight gasps for air and Y/N's deep breathing.

Y/N quickly broke eye contact as she lept off Kuroo's body and made her way to the edge of the bed. Her hands clutched the sheets in anger--anger at herself for almost hurting someone she cared about, anger at the damn nightmare that kept coming back no matter what, anger at herself for being so fucked up. 

"I'm--I'm sorry. I'll go clean up."

As Y/N attempted to make her escape to the bathroom, Kuroo's firm grip wrapped around her wrist, freezing her in place. Turning around, Y/N was met with a look from Kuroo that she had not expected, a warm look of comfort. 

"Listen Y/N, I'm not stupid. I could tell from the moment your deep blue eyes stared back at me at that party that you are different--different from anybody I have ever met. I could tell from our first conversation that you were mysterious, daring, wild--I knew you were someone who rarely lets people in. But, I didn't care. I wanted to get to know you--I still do. Whatever just happened right now, it confirmed for me that you have a darkness within you that you've been trying to hide, secrets that you've been keeping for so long. Guess what though, I don't care what those secrets are, I don't care what you've done in your past--what your real identity is--it doesn't matter to me. What matters to me is that I want you in my life, for better or for worse. So don't walk away--don't try to run and hide. Cause no matter what I'll chase you, I'll catch you, I won't leave you alone until I can become a part of your life. The good, the bad---I'll take it all if it means you being by my side. And I think you know how stubborn I am now-- that I won't give up no matter what. Don't you, Chibi-chan?"