Chapter XXXIII: Sisters

"The roads I've abandoned. The people I've left behind."
(Nitya Prakash)

Y/N could feel Kuroo's cat-like eyes quietly observing her as they began to search the seemingly abandoned headquarters. When they split up in teams to search Y/N's childhood home, Kuroo insisted on being by her side-- the concern for Y/N clearly showing on his face.

Y/N ignored Kuroo's presence as he followed her, her thoughts preoccupied as she searched through her childhood home, a home that was now falling apart. Bullet holes littered the walls, the building reeking of blood as soon as they had stepped inside. It didn't take long for them to come across the first pile of dead bodies, men in black suits littered throughout the common room. Y/N bit back a gag as the stench of rotting bodies consumed the air. Luckily, she didn't recognize the bodies that she saw, most of them seeming to be random new recruits that her parents must've hired. 

As she stared at the bodies her mind began to wander, thinking of all the people she grew up with-- their bodies probably lifeless on the floor somewhere else in the building. Even though they were only nice to her to get on good terms with her parents, she still felt saddened deep down-- she could never agree to mass murder no matter how horrible the victims were.

"Y/N, you alright?"

Jumping slightly at Kuroo's voice, Y/N quickly turned around, a fake smile plastered across her face.

"Sorry, I'm fine. These bastards got what they deserved anyways. Come on let's keep--" 

Y/N was interrupted as Kuroo suddenly grabbed her wrist and pulled her to his chest. His arms caged around her as if he was trying to hide her from the horrid sight that surrounded them. Y/N stood there in his arms for a few seconds before slowly returning his hug, burying her head in his warm chest.

"It's okay to not be okay, you know that right? I can see right through your tough guy act, you should know that by now."

Chuckling, Y/N slowly separated herself from his embrace, her mask breaking as a sad smile appeared on her face.

"I guess I should know that by now huh... I can never fool you. But now's not the time for getting upset, we have to keep moving forward. Miki is definitely here somewhere, I can just feel it."

Kuroo nodded silently towards Y/N and squeezed her shoulders in comfort before taking a step past her and leading the way. Daichi, Tsukishima, Hinata, and Kageyama had gone to the basement while Akaashi, Iwaizumi, Lev, and Yaku explored the first floor. That left only one option for Kuroo as he began to make his way up the stairs that led to the top floor. Y/N's heart began to beat wildly in her chest as they ascended the stairs-- the third floor being where her parents, her sister and her own room had been located. 

Y/N pushed past Kuroo as they reached the top of the stairs, her feet subconsciously leading her to the place she had spent most of her teenage years locked away-- her bedroom. Opening the door she was surprised to find it exactly how she had left it-- besides the obvious ransacking that had taken place. Her hand gently grazed against the wall as she wandered around the room, memories of her childhood replaying in her head. 

Kuroo watched her as she continued to wander around the room. He watched as her eyes began to focus on something from across the room. Following her gaze, he saw a small birthday tiara sitting on her bedside table, his eyes immediately widening recalling the story Y/N had told him from that day.

"Chibi-chan..."

Y/N couldn't hear Kuroo's voice as she gently picked up the tiara and twirled it around in her hands. Staring at it only brought back bad memories, but for some reason she couldn't put it down.