Chapter XXVII: No Regrets

"The funny thing about facing imminent death is that it really snaps everything else into perspective." (James Patterson, The Angel Experiment) 

Suga can't feel his legs-- we think he's paralyzed from the waist down."

Silence.

That was all that surrounded Daichi as he sat alone outside, his emotionless eyes cast towards the ground. 

Time had slowed down when Tanaka notified everyone of Suga's state. All eyes had been on Daichi as Tanaka uttered those words. Suga wasn't only Daichi's second in command, but he was also his best friend, his family-- someone Daichi loved and cherished more than anyone else in the world. 

Daichi had surprised everyone as he slowly turned around and made his way out the door without saying a word. Daichi could feel everyone's gaze on him as he made his way outside, but no one had made a move to stop him as Asahi stepped forward to face everyone.

"Let him be for a while. More than anyone-- he needs to be alone right now."

Time slowly passed by as Daichi sat outside, memories of him and Suga together replaying in his head. 

"Hey Suga-- what are your plans after graduating college?"

Suga and Daichi sat together in their dorm room as they studied for finals. At Daichi's words, Suga looked up and smiled-- his eyes surged with warmth as they looked at Daichi.

"Wherever you go, I'll follow. Just cause we're graduating doesn't mean I'll leave you alone that easily."

Daichi's eyes widened in surprise at Suga's words.

"But I told you my plans... you really wanna follow me down that path? With your intelligence and your talent you could do so much more than--"

"Daichi-- what I want is to continue living by your side. Besides, as if I'd let someone else be your second in command. Even if it was Asahi, I'd still get too jealous." 

Daichi smiled at Suga, extending his hand towards him. Taking Daichi's hand, Suga smiled as well-- his gaze locking onto Daichi.

"If that's how it's gonna be then I guess I have no choice. Welcome to Karasuno-- my second in command."

Tears began to well up in Daichi's eyes, his emotions overtaking him as he re-lived that moment from years ago in his mind. Not being able to hold it in any longer, tears racked Daichi's body as his emotions overflowed.

"If only I hadn't told him-- if only we never met then maybe--"

"Sugawara would've followed you regardless, you should know that by now Daichi."

Daichi's tears stopped as he turned around to see Asahi looking at him, a sad smile on his face. Making his way over, Asahi sat down next to Daichi, his gaze cast on the sky above them.

"I was gonna let you have more time alone, but I can't watch this self pity of yours go on any longer. If Suga saw you acting like this you know he would beat the shit out of you, doesn't matter if he's in a wheelchair or not." 

"A wheelchair-- it's my fault that he's paralyzed. I just don't know how to face him... I can't face him."

At Daichi's words, Asahi wasted no time in slapping him in the back of the head. Daichi rubbed his head in pain, his annoyed gaze quickly meeting Asahi.

"What the hell was that--"

"That was from Suga. He told me that if you were getting down on yourself that I had permission to slap you. Now stop sitting here feeling sorry for yourself-- you're the leader of Karasuno, the strong boss everyone is supposed to rely on. Now let's go-- Suga is waiting for you."