Chapter XXXV: Red

"Every loss, every mistake, was seared into her soul, creating a different kind of tattoo, one made from rage and abandonment, heart break and tears." (Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl)

Watching, waiting.

That's all Y/N could do as she stood on the side lines, watching the raging battle that had broken out before her. Even though she made a promise to Kuroo, she couldn't help it as her grip on her daggers tightened, wanting nothing more than to join the fight herself.

Miki stood next to her, utterly confused at the fact that Kuroo and Tsukishima had made them retreat, her eyes staring down Y/N, questions flowing through her mind. 

"If you're so strong, then why are you forced to stand here-- like the helpless princess that needs protecting?"

Y/N grimaced at her sister's harsh words, not knowing what she should tell her. She could tell Miki was just as frustrated as her, both of their bodies aching to jump into the action. Deciding she was going to be truthful with Miki here on out, she ripped off the band aid-- the words tumbling from her lips before she could stop herself.

"I'm pregnant."

Miki's eyes widened, her gaze going from her sister's eyes, to her stomach, and then back to Y/N's gaze once more. Silence was all that was left between the two of them as Miki's gaze went back to the battle that was taking place before them.

"Is it that rooster head's baby?"

Y/N chuckled at the new nickname, a small smile gracing her lips. Nodding once in confirmation, the silence began to fill up the space once again between them. 

"You really love him, don't you?"

Y/N smiled once more, her gaze full of love as she watched the crazy black haired male clash weapons with Atsumu, his gaze concentrated on his enemy as he fought to protect the one he loved.

"Yeah--I really do."

Miki eyed Y/N's grip, her knuckles turning white as she gripped the daggers in her hands. She could tell it was taking Y/N every amount of willpower she had to not run out into the battlefield in front of her. Y/N noticed Miki's stare and turned to face her, a look of determination crossing her features as she stared at her little sister.

"I'll keep my word for now, but if things get bad then I won't hesitate to jump in. If that happens then you stay--"

"I'm coming with you. I've been protecting myself for this long-- I don't need you to protect me any more. If you go, I'm going too."

Knowing she wouldn't win this argument, Y/N nodded silently, her gaze returning to the fight in front of her.

"For now, let's believe in them-- and hope it doesn't come to that."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I know he's pretty tall, but don't be intimidated Yaku! I got your--"

"What does height have to do with anything? Doesn't matter to me how tall someone is, I can still beat their ass."

As soon as Atsumu had rushed towards Kuroo, the battle broke out. Everyone ended up getting paired off, multiple battles taking place at once. Yaku and Lev stood in front of Aran Ojiro-- one of Inzarizaki's top fighters. The mere size of Aran would be enough to intimidate someone, but Yaku and Lev stood their ground.

"I'm not one for meaningless conflict, but I guess you two leave me no choice."

Aran reached behind him, pulling out a long wooden jo that was strapped to his back-- a staff typically used in martial arts. It might not look like much, but it could be used to easily break the bones of his opponents, it's long reach serving as an advantage for when there are multiple attackers.