9.

#9 never make a deal with the devil 

And I trusted him. I stepped where he stepped, crunching branches and leaves that were a carpet on the ground. 

The trees thinned making a clearing. I gasped at the view of the sunset. The colors painted in the sky reflected onto a small creek that ran down a rounded hill. 

"What is this place?" I asked. 

"It is where I come to think. I thought you would appreciate it." He took a seat crossed legged on the ground waiting for me to join him. 

I gave some space between us as I took a seat beside him. "It is beautiful." I glanced over at him seeing him looking at me. "I bet you bring all the girls here." 

He glanced at the sky again. Bright stars flooded the darkness above us. "No. You would be the first." 

A smile broke out onto my face. "Tell me about the real Zander Raslon." 

He bit the side of his lip before he started to speak. "The real Zander Raslon?" 

"You wear a mask. The snotty, self absorbed guy. He isn't real." I explained. 

He nodded. "The real Zander Raslon had to grow up real fast. His mom was mentally abused him and his dad was rarely there to protect his son, leaving a deep scar on young Zander." He started to play with a piece of yellow grass. "He made poor life choices which caused his dad to kick him out for a little while. His dad finally took him back in, but the poor choices never stopped." 

My eyes grew wide. I wasn't expecting an answer at all, much less a full story.

Zander caught my surprised gaze. He cleared his throat. "Sorry, I um- I don't know where that came from. That Zander doesn't even exist anymore." He moved the dark hair from his face, giving an awkward smile. 

"Who is the real Naomi Feel?" He asked. 

I shrugged. "I guess someone who doesn't think she will ever be good enough, so she puts walls up so no one can get in." I tremble at the revelation. I never revealed something like that before. 

"The Namoi I see is strong and amazing. She could get any guy she wanted because she was so beautiful inside and out." I smiled, as Zander moved closer, brushing a piece of hair away from my face. 

"The Zander I see is scared of showing the real him, so he won't get hurt. But underneath everything else, he is actually a pretty cool guy." 

He gave me a smile before turning back to the trees. "Look." He pointed. 

I turned to see the trees sparkling with fireflies. "Wow, I have never seen so many."  

My gaze broke as a warm sensation flew through my hand. I looked down to see Zander's hand on top of mine. His deep blue eyes read me like a book. 

His gaze went down to my lips. And for a moment this wasn't about the deal. It wasn't about Otto or his reputation. For a moment instead of having to be with Zander I wanted to be with him. 

"Kiss me." The words barely left his mouth. My ears barely heard the soft words. I leaned in mashing his soft lips against mine. His hand became entangled in my hair. My hand went up to his cheek. 

He broke off. "I told you." 

 "Told me what?" I asked, going back in. 

He returned it. "You would fall for me." This time he went back in, but I didn't return it. 

He placed a light kiss on my forehead. I scooted back in thought. 

His smile fell. "What's wrong?" 

"No." The only word that works comes out of my mouth. "No." 

"Naomi?" Zander placed his warm hand on my knee.

"This isn't. Me coming with you was just for Otto." I stood brushing dirt off of me. 

"Then what just happened?" Zander stood too, pointing between us. 

"I don't know. I didn't mean- It was a mistake." I brought my hand to my head. My forehead was still wet from his last kiss. 

"A mistake." Zander gulped. He nodded. "Okay." 

I only caught a glimpse of the heart in his eyes before he turned and started to walk back toward where we came. 

My heart sank, as I followed him. My eyes clouded but I refused to cry. He walked quickly and I struggled to keep up with him.

"Get in." He called, from the car.

"It's okay. I can call-"  I began. 

"Get in the fucking car." His voice cracked, and I did what he said. 

My door was nearly closed when he took off going way over the speed limit. He rolled the window down pulling a vape from his pocket. He inhaled a long time before blowing a huge puff of smoke. 

"Zander." I clutched the side of the door as trees and buildings flew past us at a rapid rate.

He didn't answer so I said his name once more. The speed increased so I decided to stay quiet, until he pulled up to my house. 

"Thank you." Before closing the door. 

"You can forget about me taking down the video." He said before speeding away. 

I should have been made after all that video is why we are in the situation. But my first thought was 'Please let him get home safe