14

#14 this soon will all be over

A knock sounded on the door, making me run down the hallway. A picture of Nora and me swayed on the wall threatening to break of any moment. 

The door swung open revealing my sister. Her dark hair that she used to wear long was now cut at the shoulders. An awkward Gareth stood behind her. 

"What is the point of knocking when you were just going to bust in anyway?" He sighed, disappointed in his flighty counterpart. 

I got the chance to give them both a hug before my mother rounded the corner, tears welled up in her eyes at the sight of her other daughter. 

"Your home." She smiled, wrapping up Nora. 

She nodded toward Gareth who avoided her gaze by looking at the floor. "Gareth, are you doing okay? You look like you haven't eaten in months." 

"Thirty-five% of people have an eating disorder. Thankfully I am not one. I had an eggo for breakfast before we left this morning." He replied, looking over my mother's head." 

She nodded before focusing back on my sister. They started to tell each other everything that happened since they last saw each other, even though they literally talk on the phone every night. My mom's rambling left Gareth and I alone. He played with his fingers. After all these years he is still not comfortable around us. 

I gestured to the couch, which was much better than standing at the door. My dad hearing the ruckus decided it was time for his entrance. 

"Hey baby." He said, slapping Nora's before taking his place on the opposite side of Gareth. 

"You like football?" My dad asked. He gaze drifted off to the team in red and white jerseys running after the team in black and gold jerseys, but it was too late once they  reached the end zone. 

My dad already knew the answer to this question, but he liked to see what Gareth's new answer would be. 

Gareth brushed down his short blond hair before answering. "No, 300,000 concussions happen because of football annually. Why would I like a sport so violent?" 

When my father first met Gareth, he didn't believe anything that came out of his mouth. But several google searches later my dad had given up and just took Gareth's word for it. 

Moments of awkward silence passed. I sighed uncomfortably, Gareth studied our house, and dad sat back enjoying the peace. 

Mom rushed in with a huge smile on her face. "For supper I am making pulled pork, green beans, and sweet potatoes. Anything you request for dessert?" 

"Oh oh." My dad cheered. 

"No. We are not having banana pudding. Nora doesn't like it." My mom said, before dad could get the words from his mouth. His face instantly sank. He scooted back in his seat crossing his arms. 

"Um mom?" I began. 

"No. I am not making cinnamon rolls. That is a breakfast, not a dessert. Maybe I will do them in the morning."

I sighed. That wasn't what I was going to say, but only the words that came out of Nora's mouth mattered. "I actually have plans tonight. Is it okay if I skip out on family dinner?" 

Mom stared at me. Her wide blue eyes looked like they would release a flood at any second. "No. You may not. You can see whoever another time. You don't see Nora everyday." 

Nora, who had been unusually quiet, brushed a piece of hair out of her face, giving me a sad smile. She used to suck up all of the attention mom gave her, but now she hated being put in front of others. 

"Mom, I have been looking forward to these plans for a week. I can't cancel the day of. I didn't even know Nora was coming when I made them." I tried once more but I already knew what was going to happen. 

First mom would take the reading glasses that sat on top of her head off and rub her eyes once. Then she would sigh. A deep pitiful sigh. And finally she would give me the look. The look that asked 'Why aren't you more like Nora?' A look of disappointment. 

"Namoi, you only care about yourself." My mother accused. 

A bullet was shot from her lips and it landed right in my chest. Of course the plans weren't more important than my sister. But there is a guy out there who needs to be taught a lesson. Who needs to remember who I am. And if I don't act now the whole plan would be lost. He would figure it out. 

"Have your stupid dinner. I won't leave. But I won't eat at the table with you. I spat. 

"Naomi," my dad warned. His voice was so soft I almost didn't hear it. Dad was always on my side. He stood up for the underdog. But as of right now I didn't want his comfort. I didn't need his help. 

I looked toward him with a glare then stormed to my room. Maybe it was childish but after years of trying to make that woman see who I am. After years of being compared to Nora I could know longer do it. 

A text made my phone screen light up. And the sight of it made me cringe. 'You ready for tonight?' It read. I changed Zander's name to dipshit in my phone which made the situation a little better. 

I quickly sent a message back telling him not to knock that I was going to have to sneak out. To which he replied,'Oh I like this new side if you.' 

I snarled wanting to throw my phone against the wall. He doesn't know crap about me. But soon this will all be over.