21

#21 this has to do with your mother

Instead of Raine being dressed to the nines the next day she matched the student body in an oversized hoodie, specifically Zander's hoodie. 

"What are you doing? You are going to get me caught." I said as she approached. 

She laughed. Her bangs bounced on her head. "It will be fine."

I sighed. I was right about the rumors dying down, although it was quicker than I thought it would. It was nice to be back in my own body. Without the looks of being Zander's girl. I was no one's girl. But I began to wonder if my philosophy of school first and boys later was correct. When I was with Zander, It was entertaining, spontaneous, but yet also stressful. 

"Guys guess what season it is." She said.

"The season of gross food." Otto said scrunching his nose, and grabbing a cheeseburger from the lunch line. "Oh wait, that is every season." 

 I laughed. "Spring?" 

"No well yes. It is prom season." She smiled leading the way to our table. 

"A party? No way. Remember the last time. This school has seen enough of my dance moves." Otto sat down with a smile, but it soon faded when he saw what was in front of him to eat. 

Nevertheless Raine took a bite of hers. "Come on you could go with Naomi." 

"And where are you going to be?" I questioned. 

"Well I have twenty-nine days to find a boy to go with." She smiled. 

"Why go with a boy? Why not go with us?" Otto asked. "I mean if I was going, which I am not." He quickly added. 

"Otto, it's traditional. I need a partner to go to prom with and take pictures." She said in a duh tone. 

The noise of the caterina increased as more people finished with their meals. "What's the point of pictures if you barely know the person." 

Raine stopped eating and looked to me as if the answer was obvious. But she didn't bother to explain. "Anyway, I think my color will be pale yellow. Too many people go with blue."

"Sorry to let you down but I don't think I will go either." I said. 

"Naomi. Otto. You do realize this is prom. You only get this chance twice." She looked between us. 

"Oh no. I am not being convinced." Otto said, raised his hands in protest. "I have enough of what teenagers call fun." 

"Yeah, I am not too big into dances either. I rather have a movie night." I shrugged. 

"Game night." Otti suggested. 

"Deal." 

Raine rolled her eyes. "I can't believe you two would rather play Uno than be at prom." 

I laughed, but it was quickly stolen away by the scent of Axe. A boy slid into the open sit across from me. Otto stiffened beside him. Once agin all eyes were on us. 

"Naomi, your courage baffles me." Zander said. 

"You mean the fact I have no problem telling you who you really are." I corrected. 

A loud "Oh!" came from the back causing me to rolling my eyes. I didn't know why life was a reality tv show. 

"You are a complete mystery to me." He spoke loudly making sure everyone could hear. 

"The mystery of how I am not hopelessly in love with you like every other girl." I said matching his tone. 

Once again a loud "Oh!" came from the back. 

"If you don't shut it I will do it for you!" Raine stood, as she pointed an accusing finger in the general direction to the noise. Otto reached over and pulled her back down the the round seat. 

Zander studied Raine as if he hadn't noitced her before. She squirmed a little in his hoodie, but Zander didn't comment as he turned back to me. "Naomi. Will you go to prom with me?" In a quiter voice he said. "Please. One last chance. I am not the jerk you think I am." 

"Of course not. After all you put me through." A few girls gasp at the sight they were seeing right know. Someone turning down a hot guy, shocking. In a lower voice I said. "This has to do with your mother. Am I right?" 

"She wants me to try again. And frankly I do too." He said, once again he put in the bad boy, good heart act. 

"Then why did you lie." I could tell people were staining to hear us at this point, but the cafeteria was still very quiet. 

"I don't know. Cause it is what I usually do." He replied. 

Raine smiled at me hoping I would say yes. I went back to what Mrs. Raslon told me. Her husband was the only girl that he didn't make up a story to get with, and I think it is the same way with Zander. 

"No. I already have plans the day of Prom." I replied, crossing my arms, and winking at Otto.

Zander huffed. His eyebrows grew closer together, and his top lip twitched. His gave a hard shove to Otto, before he stormed off. 

The cafeteria grew back in noise probably all talking about the same thing. Me. 

"Ow,"Otto complained, all I could see was the top of his curly hair. "Why do I get punished for Naomi's actions?" He slowly took his place back at the table. 

"Sorry Otto. And Raine." I said as I noticed her looking at her plate, stabbing a single noodle in her mac and cheese. 

"That's okay." She said, perking up a bit. "He is still on my list." 

Otto cocked his head to the side wondering if she just saw what happened. Not to mention what happened over the past few weeks. "Girls." He sighed, picking up a soggy french fry.