24

The nice guy wins 

"Do you have a two?" Otto asked, staring at the single card I had left in my hand. He moved his legs from a criss-crossed position ti where they were stretched out in front of him. 

A confused expression flooded my face. I looked down to my red four before speaking. "You do know we are playing uno right?" 

"Ah yes, that might just be part of my strategy." He said. His hand was full of cards. I smiled as we got closer to the end, I definitely had this one in the bag. 

Otto smiled at my confidence before placing down his next card. "Draw four." He smirked. 

I sighed drawing four cards from the deck, getting three more reds and a single blue. "Are you sure you shuffled?"

Otto looked offended by my question as I drew more cards finally getting the green one he suggested. And just like that the game was once again tied. 

"What do you think Raine is doing now?" I asked, as we took a break to shuffle the discard stack. 

"I bet she is missing us. You know we are the life of the party." Otto said. His tounge stuck out the side of his mouth as he tried to shuffle the deck, but they ended up going everywhere. 

"Really how do you not know how to shuffle cards?" I asked, beginning to pick up the cards he had just flown everywhere. 

"What do you think she is doing?" He asked, returning to the conversation of prom. 

"Probably some dirty dance on the poor guy she brought." I laughed. I shuffled the cards slowly this time so Otto could see how it was done. The cards flew from my thumbs landing perfectly on top of one another. 

"Dustin." Otto reminded. 

Raine was lucky enough to snag him just a week before prom. 

"Guys." She said sitting at the lunch table. "I found the guy who is going to take me to prom." 

"Who?" I asked. 

"His name is Dustin. He has red hair. I sit behind him in Chemistry." Raine explained.

"Is that all you know him?" Otto asked. 

"I know that he smells good." Raine added. 

"You have never spoke to him have you?" I said. 

"No. But I have a plan to get him to ask me out in less then a week." She responded. 

That week she ditched Zander's hoodie for her regular clothes, the ones that made her stand out in the crowd. Then each day she would do something to make Dustin 'fall for her'. 

Day one she dropped her pencil and he picked it up for her. 

Day two she completed the shirt he wore. 

Day three she asked him if he could explain a difficult problem.

All leading up to day four, where they actually had a real conversation. She snuck in the fact that she was going to prom alone to which he replied well why don't we just go together. 

I didn't understand how Raine could snag any guy, but I learned to just go with it. 

"I'm just glad she didn't go for Zander again." Otto commented slapping down a skip followed by a reverse. "I couldn't bear to she him with either one of you again." 

I gave him an awkward smile. "I never thanked you for always being there for me especially when I was with Zander." From the beginning Otto questioned his motives, and a guy like that being with a girl like me. 

"Letting me eat your tater tots at school is thank you enough." He replied. 

His brown eyes, that matched his hair, caught mine. And just like that a million words were passed between us. 

It was The one who used to tug on my piggy tails in elementary school. The one I give my tater tots to. It was the one who was always by my side. The one who tried to protect me, and makes me laugh.

It wasn't the one that pursued me, the one that was mysterious, or made me question everything. I had secretly, or maybe accidentally fallen for my best friend. 
Otto had grown into something more than my friend. I could resist a guy who believed he was the best option for me. But how can I give up the guy who would let me go, just to see me happy? 

"Otto…" I started, but then paused. "Why are you always there for me? Even when I am being completely stubborn you follow me." 

He studied my eyes and licked his lips nervously. "Naomi, I love you. I always have but either you were too busy for a boyfriend or you were with Zander. You have always been my best friend, but when this stuff we Zander started to happen I thought I was going to lose you." 

"No way." I commented. He looked embarrassed for a moment by telling me this. "Why didn't you tell me sooner?" I asked. But after some thought I wondered what I would have done if he told me sooner. Would I just have brushed him off as a friend. 

"Raine told me that the nice guys don't win." He replied. 

"Raine knew about this?" I asked. 

He nodded. "It accidentally slipped out during one of her romcoms." 

"Well Otto. This nice guy wins this time." I reached over to grab his hand, and leaned me head on his shoulder to which he followed. 

Raine told me that I would regret going to prom, but I don't think I ever will. Instead of being in a dark room with drunk teenagers. I got to play Uno with my long-term best friend and now boyfriend. 

A/N

Hello my wonderful readers. I am happy and sad to say that this is the end of the story. I didn't write any of these through the story (mostly cause I am bad at writing them) but I wanted to tell you how much I deeply appreciate your guy's comments and votes. I love how attracted you became with Otto because he has been on of my favorite characters to write. 

If you have any questions you can ask me I might do a chapter of answering those if I get quite a few. 

Thank you all so much.