20

#20 Back to the roots

Otto suggested a prank. 

Raine suggested violence. 

But I had a much sneaker approach. One that Zander would never see coming. I was going to go to his house. And maybe do a little prank while I was there. 

I approached the house that seemed to stretch on for miles, and prayed his mother would be home. 

I knocked three times and took a step back. My breath seized in my chest as I waited for a reply, hoping that it wouldn't be Zander. Soon the door opened a tiny bit revealing half of a woman's face. "We are buying whatever you are selling." She replied, almost closing the door. 

"No. Wait. I am a friend of Zander." I said, sticking my arm out if that was truly going to stop her. 

She opened the door wider to reveal more of herself. I couldn't really tell if she was Zander's mother. She was short, with long, golden locks. But those mysterious blue eyes were what kept me around. 

"A friend?" She said in disbelief. "Zander doesn't have friends. Unless they are with benefits. He has a lot of those." 

I was shocked. I mean it is reasonable that she knew what Zander was doing, but I couldn't imagine what my parents would say if I lead that life. 

"He was… He is… Ugh I don't know. We almost dated I guess." I played with the hem of my jacket, wondering why I didn't just take Raine's suggestion. 

She looked me up and down. "You aren't the type he usually goes for." 

"And what type is that?" I asked

"Slutty." Mrs. Raslon responded. She pushed the door open wider letting me inside. Even though it was my second time in his house I was still amazed with its beauty. The polished floors. The high ceilings. 

"So what story did he tell you to try to rake you in?" His mother asked. She poured a glass of wine. Then she brought the glass to her plump lips. 

I quickly told her the story of what had happened the last couple of weeks. She wasn't surprised or disappointed. She just said,"Wow. You would have made a good one." 

"Good what?" 

"Daughter-in-law. Too bad my son has no respect." She said, finished the glass before pouring a new one.

Part of me was happy she thought of me as such. And part of me was confused wasn't she the one that thought him how to act. Unfortunately it was the second part of me that came out. "Why is he like that?"

"It's all his father's doing. Zander is just like him. Down to the fake stories. But for some reason his father didn't tell me a fake story. I was the only one who actually knew him. His father eventually grew out of it and I am hoping he will to." 

I thought of Raine telling me about his dad. How she always defended him. She even said that Zander took her to the grave of his father. Was Raine supposed to be his girl? 

"Well I was wondering if I could pop in Zander's room for a second. I think he has something of mine." I pointed to the stairs, her mother waved a hand. 

I held my breath as I opened the door of the room he went in during the party, hopefully it was his. The smack in the face with the scent of Axe told me I was right. My other clues were the dark walls. The vape on his night stand right next to a had eaten pizza. And a couple of bras laying around. Gross did girls just leave them here. 

First I went to his computer, which was thankfully unlocked and deleted the video of Otto. A deal is a deal. 

I took one of his many black hoodies as a gift to Raine, who requested it. And for Otto's request I put a little voice box that meowed at random times in the top shelf in the corner of his closet. I could tell that he wouldn't find it for a while with all the dust the piled up there.

With that my work was complete. Soon something else will happen at the school and the student will be to focused on that. 

I hurried down the stairs shoving the hoodie in my bad so I got no questions from his mother. 

"Did you find what you were looking for hun?" She asked still in the kitchen. 

I decided to join her for another brief second. "Yes. Thank you for being so sweet." Unlike your son I left out. 

"Please do come back anytime. I love the company." She said. 

I smiled at the offer, but this would probably be the last time I am here. Then the nob jiggled. 

"Oh good. He is home." She grabbed me by the shoulders and pulled me toward the door. 

Zander slung his back not even looking at us as he entered. He was on the third stair before his mother grunted to get his attention. He gave a side glance and then noticed me standing there. His mouth practically fell to the floor. "What the Hell is she doing here?" 

"Zander! This girl is quite lovely. Don't be the grinch cause she discovered your true intentions." 

He rolled his eyes. "Why are you here?" 

I almost shivered under his death glare, but stopped myself. I hated the way he towered of me on the stairs. The fact that I was to look up to him.  "I wanted to talk to you like an actual person. But you being a ball of slime thought the best thing to do was to spread rumors about me and Otto." 

He did a half smirk like the one he did when I used to go off on him. It is good to be back. "I can't help the people love me." His spread his arms wide. 

"Well it needs to stop. And I am not going on an outing with you when you didn't even keep your first promise." 

He almost winced. It was bearly noticable, but for a spilt second he lost his smile. It myst have been because of the outing. When I told him the kiss was a mistake. He had gotten so angry.

I didn't wait for him to come up with an excuse, a comeback, or even a deal. I just turned to leave. 

"Just because my son sucks doesn't mean you can't come over." His mother called after me. 

"Of course." I told her. I did say that this would be my last time over here. But I might be back just to smite him. 

It was nice to be back. The girl who always spoke her mind, and was not ashamed by her stance. Somewhere in the last couple of weeks I briefly lost that side of me. I was too caught up in my thoughts. But know I can say that I did not fall for the bad boy's plan. I wasn't caught in up by what he could be. But of the fact of what he was. In this world I put myself first. Not the possibility of another guy.