17

#17 the bad boy doesn't change

The nervous waitress returned with our drinks. "Are you prepared to order?" She asked us. 

"I believe we are." Zander replied, looking to me and I nodded, eyeing the most expensive item on the menu. 

"I will be having the steak and potatoes and the lady… she will have the Caesar salad." My mouth dropped open. 

The waitress paused turning toward me. "I will actually have."

"The salad." Zander once again repeated. "Remember that conversation we had earlier about watching your weight." He looked up the startled waitress and gave a small laugh.

I gave her a brief smile before she hurried back to the kitchen. "What was that?" I sneered leaning in closer. 

He leaned in closer to making our noses centimeters apart. He didn't reply but just smirked as I looked into his eyes. I got the feeling this date was going to end a lot sooner. 

"Zander, can I ask you a question?" I said, taking a small spit of the wine. 

"You just did." He replied, flipping his hair over to the side. 

I rolled my eyes. For this to work out I was going to have to set the mood. "Why me? There are bound to be other girls at the school you haven't slept with yet." 

He looked up at me with a surprised look on his face, that is when the fake Zander began to shine. "You are one of the only girls that didn't fall over me. I had to work to get the time from you, and every moment I did I just waited more. More of those inquisitive eyes and that beautiful smile. Leaving me to wonder why not you?" 

I smiled, breaking eye contact. Most girls would love to hear this from a boy's mouth. But unfortunately this wasn't true. 

The waitress interrupted us, placing down the hot plates. Well Zander's hot plate and my room temperature bowl. "Bon appetite." Zander smiled, showing off his bad tooth. 

I raised my glass and he followed suite.  He began to cut up the brown steak, while I stabbed a leaf and then placed it in my mouth. As soon as Zander cut off the first slice I reached over to grab it with my fork. On instinct he slapped my hand. 

His eyes grew wide as he looked up at me with fear. "Excuse me you did not.." I began. I still took the meat and placed it in my mouth. Zander rolled his eyes and began to cut another piece. 

As the plate became empty I gave a cue to Otto that the show was about to really begin. I signaled to the waitress, and she rushed right over. 

"Yes darling, could we possibly get two cheesecakes in a togo boxes." I smiled. Zander watched me with devilish eyes. But my ending the night early isn't going to go the way he thinks. 

He jingled to hotel keys as he placed his fork back on the plate and downed the rest of the wine. 

"Zander, I know we haven't known each other very long, but I feel so close to you. I know you aren't very fond of your parent's, but I would love it if I could meet your dad." I began. I held onto his warm hand.

He was good. He didn't flinch or give any sign that what he told me days ago was a lie.  "Yeah sure someday." 

"I really hoped that day could be tonight…" I replied, poking out my bottom lip slightly. 

"I don't know." He rubbed the back of his neck with his other hand. "He is a busy guy." 

"A busy guy?" I paused, but didn't give enough time for Zander to say anything. "What kind of jobs do ghosts have?"  

"I mean he… Wait. I um… I meant… Well you see." He began to stutter. 

"No. That's the problem I don't see. Please explain." 

He stood causing us to catch some gazes. The waitress came in between us and placed the bill and the desserts on the table, then scurried back out of the way. 

"I should have known that the bad boy never changes. You just wanted me in your little collection of girls that you have slept with. What number would I have been?" At least fifty.? I continued, rasing my voice. 

"Look. Let's start over." Zander replied not knowing what else to say. 

"You are a pig." I grabbed the wine and tossed the rest of the glass. The red liquid soaked into the white fabric.

"Are you crazy?" Zander said, getting furious. 

I grabbed his tie with one hand and the box cake in the other. "Yes. I am crazy. And you should have known that long before now." I smeared the cream cheese filling over the navy suit. 

And finished the date with a kiss on the cheek. It was Raine's idea of him not forgetting me, even though I don't think he would have forgotten if I have left it off. Otto tried to change it to a slap, but he got vetoed. 

"I hope you can get a refund on your hotel." I said, bringing my knee up to his crotch. I winked at Otto, who had gotten it all on film and grabbed the other cake, but when I turned I was faced with an audience. 

An old man whistled from the back, followed by a couple of loud claps while the rest of the eyes remained speechless. The man who sat me at the table had appeared again, with a slight smile on his face. "Well done." He whispered as I walked out of the restaurant. 

My heart pounded in my chest at what I just accomplished. I paced back and forth waiting on my counterpart. He raced from the building a minute later scooping me up in his arms. 

"We did it Naomi." He said, with a smile.