23

#23 I already have plans

I may have gotten out of prom, but I wasn't able to get out of prom shopping. After a morning of tears, mostly from my overdramatic mother, and giving my sister a brief goodbye, Raine insisted on going shopping. More specifically prom dress shopping. 

On the bright side I convinced Otto to come. I rushed into his house. His mother smiled at my entrance. "Otto we are going to be late." I yelled down to his room. 

His door speaked up and a confused head popped out of it. "Late?" 

"Yes. We are going prom shopping with Raine." I announced, making my way into his room. It was much more sophisticated than mine, clothes didn't lay on the floor. The walls were bare. The only decorations was a wall of bookshelves and a picture of him and I, in a frame, sitting on his dresser. 

"Girls gushing over dresses I don't-" 

"I'll buy you ice cream." I interrupted. 

"Deal." He replied, sticking out his hand for me to shake. 

I left his room as he started to get ready. 

"So how are you Mrs. Jeys?" I smiled at his mother. She looked up from her paper with a smile. 

"It's been nice Robert took Oliva to the park so it has been very quiet." She said, referring to her daughter and her husband.

"What adventures are you off to today?" She asked. Her light curly hair was tied into a knot on the top of her head. 

"Prom shopping." I answered, gazing toward the snickerdoodles on the counter. If there is one thing I liked about coming to Otto's house was his mother's cooking. I love it so much I convinced Nora to have some of Mrs. Jeys' famous Snickerdoodles at her wedding. I wonder if I could convince her to do them at the baby shower.

"I didn't realized you two were going to prom." Mrs. Jeys smiled. She slid over the plate when she noticed I was staring at them.

"We aren't. We are helping a friend pick at her dress. We are planning a game night that night. If you don't mind." I asked, helping my self to the sweets. 

She gave me a soft smile. I heard Otto's door open making me grab me keys. "We will be back soon. It was nice talking to you." I said, heading for the door. 

~

"This shade of yellow looks like the last shade of yellow." Otto whispered. We watched Raine examine herself in the mirror. She pulled back her hair and did a little spin. 

"It's lighter." I whispered back, but he didn't believe me. 

The sales lady came over with a wide smile on her face. "Oh madame, that dress looks beautiful on you. Should we order a tie in that color?" She winked at Otto, whose face grew red. 

"Oh. No. I am- I am only here for ice cream." His eyes grew wide, as he raised his hands. 

The sales lady cocked her head in confusion, but before she could say anything Raine interrupted. "Yes please. I want this shade but not this style. Do you have anything-" 

"Yes madame, I will be right back." She smiled, making her way to the back. 

"Why did you order a tie?" Otto asked. 

"Two reasons. One because it will be hard to match the color if I wait. And two guys aren't planners if it were up to them they would wear nice jeans and a polo." 

"I thought that was formal." He replied thinking of the night with the party. 

Raine sighed. "No, not for prom." 

Before Otto could ask another question the sales lady came back with three different dresses in hand. 

One was short in the front with a long back. One had a high spit and was meant to curve around the body. And the other reminded me of the dress from Beauty and the Beast. 

Raine smiled looking to me. I took it as a sign to get off the couch and help her with the dresses. In the end she picked the dress that had the high split. And honest I didn't blame her. The dress fit her perfectly, from the chest to her hips. She looked like a goddess. 

"Yes. Ice cream time." Otto smiled as the lady rang up the dress. 

"Hold on." Raine said and turned to me. "I know you aren't going but would you try on one dress just for me." 

I gave a half of a smile before saying yes. It isn't everyday you could try on a dress that you couldn't afford. 

Raine ordered the lady to go get a dark green dress along with some other words that I didn't hear. 

"Okay, close your eyes." Raine said inside the dressing room. 

I gave her an annoyed glare, but I did as she said. The next thing I feel is a soft fabric falling into place. She spun me toward the mirror before instructing me to open my eyes.

The girl in the mirror wore a dark green dress. The top was made out of sequins. It was strapless and showed off more than the girl is comfortable with. Her leg became exposed at the knee. This girl didn't even look like me. I gaped at myself in the mirror causing Raine to squeal. "That's the body I am always talking about. Should we go show our audience. 

The sales lady waited impatiently, but a smile filled her face as we walked out. "That dress was made for you." I was sure that she said that to hundreds of girls a day just to get them to buy a dress, but in that moment I believed it. 

Her comment made Otto look up from his phone. A toothy smile filled his face. "Wow. Are you telling me that is the girl that wears Nike slides to school?" He said.

"Are you sure you don't want to go to prom?" Raine whispered in my ear. 

"I already have plans for that day." I said. It was the same response I told Zander. 

"Ice cream?" Otto questioned from his spot of the couch. 

"Yes. Just as soon as I get out if this dress."