iv

All eyes averted to the girl they had just been speaking about to see her eyes open. Deanna took a step back, surprised at the waking of the young girl and maybe even scared. Seeing the stories upon her skin of what she may have gone through, she was scared to learn of her secrets. Deanna looked at the girl, her eyes showing her surprise and just an ounce of fear."I'll let Pete know you're awake." Deanna was quick to leave the room, leaving Rick, Daryl, Michonne and Glenn staring at the girl. They were surprised when she shifted, forcing herself to sit up, clenching her jaw as she moved. Glenn took a step forward, wincing as he heard her let out a pained noise."You shouldn't move too much, your body has been through a lot—" her head snapped up to meet his gaze. "I've been through worse, I can take it." Glenn, Rick, Daryl and Michonne looked to each other in confusion before the girl looked at them. Her eyes fell between them, worry gnawing at her gut as she wondered what they would do to her.

The worry faded partially as Rick stepped forward, eyeing the girl. "There's a lot we gotta talk about Clarissa." Her hands instinctively reaching for her neck, her stomach falling as she realized her dog tags were gone. Her eyes turned into slits as she looked towards Rick. "I have nothing to say to you—" the man cut her off, placing his hands at his belt. "That's tough. You came to our walls, fainted at our front door, and we saved you. I think at least a thank you is in order." Everyone was surprised as she let out a humorless laugh. "I heard you, Rick. You didn't want to bring me in, and maybe you shouldn't have. But I didn't ask for you to help me, so I'll be on my way—" As she tried to get up, the girl hissed in pain as she moved. She bit the inside of her cheek, hard, causing blood to draw and fill her mouth with a metallic tang. In her pain, she was surprised when Glenn moved to her side, kneeling by the bedside and opening his palm. Her surprise only heightened as she saw her dog tags in his hand, her eyes meeting his as he gave her an apologetic look before placing them in her hand. "We had to know who you were and how to save you. I'm sorry, Clarissa, but it was the only way." Clarissa said nothing as Rick moved closer, causing her focus to shift from Glenn to Rick as he approached the bed. "Now, where—" Rick began, to which Clarissa clenched her jaw. "I won't answer your questions, not if you ask them. You don't trust me and that goes both ways."

As her eyes landed on Glenn, she knew that he was curious to know about her. She could tell easily that Rick was a leader, and he was an authoritative man that wasn't used to being back talked. She could also tell he wasn't believing of the idea of her authority, but he would. Clenching her jaw and raising her head, trying to display her own authority, she stared Rick down."I'll talk to Glenn, and only him. He is the one that convinced you to save me, so my thanks is to him." Rick clenched his jaw before looking at Glenn, unsureness in his eyes before Glenn nodded. With his friends assurance, Rick looked at Clarissa for a second more before looking to the dark skinned woman and dirty looking man by his side. "Daryl, Michonne and I will give you two some privacy then. We'll go see what Maggie found." Michonne and Daryl nodded, their eyes grazing over the young girl before following Rick out of the room.

As the door shut behind them, Glenn brought a chair to the side of Clarissa's bed before sitting down. Clarissa messed around with the dog tags, tossing them in her hand before she slowly raised her arms and put it over her head. As they laid gently against her chest, her eyes met Glenn's as he looked at her, intrigued by her.
Clarissa watched as his gaze didn't waver, confusing her. "What?"
Glenn said nothing for a moment, simply watching her before he shook his head softly."I guess I'm just— I'm just trying to figure out how strong you have to be to survive all you have," Glenn spoke softly, his eyes questioning as she only shook her head. "Why don't you ask? Information seems to be the only thing on Rick's mind." Glenn let out a short laugh, shaking his head as he looked at the girl. He was surprised to see the corner of her lips quirk up, the tiniest of smiles. "Yeah, Rick's like that. He's protective to say the least, and maybe even scared. It's not everyday you meet a girl like you."Clarissa looked to the man before rising an eyebrow. "Girl like me?" she questioned, to which Glenn nodded as she let out a soft puff of air. "What, you're telling me you haven't had a half conscious girl come up to your home and pull a knife on everyone?" Glenn shook his head, the corner of his lips quirking up. "Nope, can't say I have. We've only been here two days, but I can say without a doubt that no one has done that to Deanna either."