xxviii

3 months later

"Is that the best you can do?" Clary taunted as her and Carl circled each other, cocky smiles on both of their faces. They had been training for what felt like mere moments, their sparring fast paced and aggressive yet really lasting for a few hours. "Hit me with your best shot, Clary. I can take you." Clary sent the boy a wink. "I'll go easy on you." Carl scoffed, his small smile never leaving his face as Clary made the first move.

Swinging her sword, Carl was quick to deflect her strike. As he counteracted her swing, making his own motion to swing at her, she used her small frame to dodge it. She saw him set his stance, heavier on his right foot as he swung the blade in his left. Using his off-balanced footing, she jabbed towards his right. She was surprised when he deflected it, his smile growing. "Good, you're learning." Carl squinted towards the girl. "You trying to distract me, Dean?" Clary shrugged, her face not revealing her intentions. "Maybe. Is it working?" Clary asked with a smile, to which the boy shook his head with a laugh.

As their swords collided, she was able to guide them to arc above the two of them, slipping her blade away from his she was able to aim it at his throat. She smiled cockily, ready to claim her win until she felt his foot slide under her own, causing her to fall on her back. He was quick to straddle her, holding her down with his hands holding down hers. "Well, would you look at that. Looks like I win," Carl gloated, the girl under him allowing her eyes to meet his with a raised eyebrow. "You're getting cocky, Grimes." Before Carl could answer, a voice sounded as footsteps neared. "Yeah, that probably ain't the best thing to do Carl."

Hearing Daryl's voice, Carl looked to where it had originated from. Using the distraction, Clary thrusted her hips up, pulling him forward. As he fell, losing his balance, she grabbed his arms before using the moment of his fall to pick herself up, leading to her on top. Writhing under her, he groaned. "You're heavy." With a smirk, she laughed. "And you just lost." Carl playfully rolled his eyes before she moved from on top of him.

As Clary held out her hand, Carl took it before the two of them looked towards Daryl as he chuckled. "I thought you said he was getting good, Jo." Carl scoffed, looking to the girl as she raised her hands in defeat. "Oh, he is, but you can never beat the master. Unless you're me." Clary looked to Carl, a smirk on her face to which he responded with laughter, pushing her playfully. She rolled her eyes with a small smile before looking back to Daryl. "What's up?" Daryl shook his head. "Nothin', just passin' by. Getting ready for that run tomorrow—" Clary took a step forward. "You sure you don't need me to go? I can get someone to cover my watch." Daryl waved off her words. "I'm sure, Jo. But you did good, letting us know about that farm, let's just hope it's still got something." Clary nodded before the man departed, Clary turning to Carl as he smirked. She raised an eyebrow before gathering her stuff.

"So, since my dad or Daryl don't need you, and your watch is early tomorrow morning, we still going outside of the walls tomorrow?" Clary looked to Carl, putting on the button up over her tank top that she had been wearing before she had taken it off for training. She nodded her head, sheathing her sword. "Yeah, and hopefully Enid will be too. After Olivia caught her sneaking out last time, she's been on lockdown. Hopefully she can get away." Carl nodded before gathering his own stuff. The two began walking towards their respective homes before they departed with small waves and walked into their homes.

Opening the door, she was surprised to Maggie on the couch, reading a book while Glenn stood in the kitchen, a glass in hand. Their eyes averted to the door as it shut, seeing the girl walk in with a smile. "Hey, how'd training go?" Glenn asked, watching as the girl shut the door. "Carl's getting better, the adjustment is still hard but he's pushing through it." Turning towards Glenn, she saw the man nod. "Should we expect him beating you anytime soon?"
Clary scoffed. "Of course not." Glenn laughed at the girl's words as she sat on the couch, kicking her feet up and laying them on the table. Maggie pushed her feet off with her own, giving a not-so stern look before speaking. "No feet on the table." Clary looked to the woman, "But—" Maggie shook her head. "No, buts." Maggie have her a smile before the girl shook her head, looking to Glenn who raised his hands in defeat. "Hey, I'm middle ground. Don't bring me into this." Clary laughed, laying down on the couch before grabbing a book and reading for a while.